When Octopus attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, thanks for posting that, I have never seen anything like that before. :11:

Once I had a small octopus attack my feet when I was pointing him out :1poke: to to my mom as we were walking along the beach in Roatan one night. I was running backward in the shallow water towards the sand trying to get away from it, thinking it would stop when the water got shallow, but he just kept on coming, right up on the sand! I found that experience very odd, since I never really thought of an octopus as being aggressive. But I never even considered that one would attack a diver underwater, what a nightmare!! :icon10: *shudder*

Dion :wink:

hubby and i were debating if it was staged or not... if it not staged, the buddy didnt stop to helP and if staged, it could get out of hand very soon.

either way - another reason why its a good idea to dive with a buddy...
1, hopefully it happens to your buddy while you have the camera, and
2, if it happens to you - hopefully your buddy has a camera!

:)
keep on smiling
LSL

Forget peeing in a wetsuit, mine would need to be hosed out after something like that!

I too wonder about the buddy that never stops filming for an instant. Of course the typical narration does not exactly match the action. Removing the mask does not stop the ability to breathe, and the regulator never seems to actually be removed. However, it is pretty scary.

"The defeated octopus.." ? ? Hardly!

Wristshot

Actually I've seen this a couple times now, abet on a much smaller scale. I have coaxed octopus' out of their holes and let them climb up my arm. Where upon I get some nice shots. On a several occasions I've had people (usually divemasters leading a group) come and rip the octopus off my arm. A couple times the now very aggitated animal has gone to the offenders head, pulled their mask off and then pulled on the regulator. On one occasion a particular DM has his ears drums punctured for his trouble. These were small animals maybe 12 - 18" in length.

As far as pulling a regulator out, they seem to only grab the hose, as they really do not like anything metal. those of you with plastic regs, well, be nice. Smart animals.

My husband got into a tug of war with one trying to steal a bit of his camera gear. (It was shiny metal.) Strong little bugger. I was laughing so hard I was at more risk than he was.

"an angry octopus lies waiting for it's prey"? come Onnnn!!! what a corny line! Big octo though. Hope i never pxxx on of to have that happen to me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom