when is it time to replace a SAFT battery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find the 14500's wear out really fast requiring frequent battery changes after about 10-15 dives. I prefer to use the Energizer Lithium non-rechargeable cells for in place of SAFT. I get about 5-6 months (50 dives) in my Petrel2 Ext computers with the Energizers.

I've given up on the SAFT cells due to their flakyness and history of bootleg batteries in the market.

@NothingClever why not just get the rechargable 14500 that is known to work?

Honestly, I wasn’t tracking rechargeables had risen above the reliability bar for DCs. I know the reliability has increased since the chapter in time where they were deemed unreliable for torches (and I’ve settled on NiteCores for my wife’s torches) but wasn’t tracking that extended to DCs now.

Thanks for prompter question to help me move forward.

Honestly, I wasn’t tracking rechargeables had risen above the reliability bar for DCs. I know the reliability has increased since the chapter in time where they were deemed unreliable for torches (and I’ve settled on NiteCores for my wife’s torches) but wasn’t tracking that extended to DCs now.

Thanks for prompter question to help me move forward.

same technology is in all of the rechargeable dive computers, so Teric, Peregrine, and NERD from Shearwater. NiMH has been more than reliable enough once the the Panasonics came out. If you go with 14500's, it will share a charger with the Nitecores

@davehicks the Predators require nominal 3.6/7v batteries so the Energizers you mentioned won't work.

I use 14500 batteries in my Perdix AI. While I only get 7-10 dives (of 2 hour duration), they are easy to change and I always have spares already charged and ready to go.

They have never failed on a dive. A few times I've had the battery icon go amber part way through the dive and red towards the end of the dive but the computer always made it to the end of the dive. One time was very close as the computer turned off a few minutes after I got out of the water.

Mine say 2400mAh on them, but I don't believe that at all.

I stopped using the lithium Energizers in my Petrel 2s due to the discharge curve. They would work great for a while then on a dive i would start in the green then toward end of dive I would get yellow for about 5minutets then red for about 1 minute then it would die. I want to say the voltage started around 3.4 when it would happen. Been using real Safts for a while without issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom