When hood and boots are necessities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smokn'

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I searched around a little but didn't find anything too concise on this. I understand personal tolerances play into it a great deal but at what point do you guys break out a hood and boots and a what point do you think you couldn't go without em?

Boots - always. My fins are sized to fit with the boots.

My hood comes out around 55-60 degrees depending on how long I'll be down. They really aren't that bad, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Personally, boots are always on - since I haven't found a full foot fin I like and I'd rather not bruise my toes more than I need.

Hood - anything colder than 24C (75F) deserves one. Even my 5mm shorty has an attached hood, although I often have it rolled behind the neck.

What can I say, I'm a wimp.

unless i'm outta a boat or in sand-boots!!!!crap i step in in unbelievable!!!!
hood-keeps the water warm outside my ears-no earaches,and it keeps things silent
also keeps the crap off my bare head-just like my bare feet!
keeps my core temp up so the diving is longer and enjoyable!
have fun
yaeg

Sea nettles hood on. fins are all sized for socks or booties. Lower than about 65F for me unless in the sun on the surface.

I always wear boots or socks, though only for comfort when the water temperature is decent. Hood if below 75-ish.

Boots, even in 80f water of the Dry Tortugas trip .. and good ones with "real" arch support that keeps me stable walking in heavy gear.
Hood, well I didn't use one on that trip, but to stay warm I did have to switch to 3mm gloves from a "reef" glove ... any colder and I would have used one, others were putting on 3mm hooded vests under their 3/2 by their 4th or 5th dive of the day

if it's not too cold, a super stretch neoprene hood is more comfortable than a regular one , but a bit less effective

Good input guys, my cert dives are all I have under my belt and that was in 85 degree water so it's helpful to see what's needed for what.

Even in water that warm I'd recommend a hood (henderson microprene is great). The warmer you keep your core, the more energy you have to dive. You will notice this especially on a dive drip with mulitple days of repetitive diving.
Besides as the others said...protection from sun and sea creatures. I think you will like a hood.
I live in Florida and dive with a hood year round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom