When everything goes wrong...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vjongene

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There should be a special forum where divers can post their most memorable screw-ups (quite a few threads already, though). Anyway, and even though I was never in real danger, I wanted to share the rather messy dive I had yesterday.

I came back last week from a trip to South Africa, where I had taken along my reg. This being warm water diving, I had two second stages, an inflator hose and an SPG mounted on the same first stage. Dives were monitored with a wrist computer. When I returned home, I had to re-configure for cold water diving, using two first stages. So I moved the octopus to a different first stage, which already had an air-integrated computer (Suunto Eon) with a compass, and an inflator hose, attached to it. In order to streamline the setup, I removed the SPG from the other first stage. So the final setup was, one first stage with the primary second stage and the inflator for the wing, the second first stage with the octopus, the inflator for the dry suit, and the Eon + compass. Normally, I also carry a bottom timer on my wrist, and a set of dive tables in a pocket.

Sunday morning I went diving in the lake with some buddies from the club. We kitted up by the cars, then walked to the entry point. As I was wading into the water, I suddenly felt cold and wet around the midriff. Sure enough, I had not pulled the zipper all the way, and there was a 1-inch gap at the bottom. Duh... Not a good start. I asked a buddy to pull and make sure the zipper was closed all the way, and we started the dive. Going down I looked at my wrist, and guess what, no bottom timer. It was still in my dive bag, in the car. Annoying, but not enough to call the dive. I still had my computer, right? We were a three-man buddy team, with the two others being instructors. They asked my to lead the dive. Conditions were only so-so, with about 3 ft viz, water temp about 40 F. I know the site quite well, no problem. We descended to about 120 ft on a wall, horrible viz, no fish, I was feeling wet and cold, so I decided to come up a bit. At around 80 ft I looked at my computer, and the screen was a blank. I shone my torch on it, absolutely nothing to be seen. So here I was, without access to ANY of my dive parameters: no SPG, no depth gauge. Tables in my pocket, but no data to look up. I turned to my buddies, showed them the dead computer, and indicated that I wanted to call the dive. One of them took over the lead, and we returned to our point of entry while slowly ascending and making our safety stop.

I know that when the computer gave up the ghost we were still well within NDL, and I had plenty of air left in my tank. There was no problem in finishing the dive safely. But I was really kicking myself for my multiple levels of carelessness. I should have left the SPG connected, and just clipped it out of the way. I should have checked that the bottom timer was on my wrist. I guess that the main lesson to be learned here is that redundancy does serve a purpose, and should not be taken lightly. The second, at least from my viewpoint, is that a dive computer should never be the primary source of vital dive data, i.e. depth and tank pressure. If a similar problem had occurred during a deco dive, or with less experienced buddies, it could easily have turned into a really dangerous situation.

First of all well done :D
You kept a cool head when things went wrong. Like you say, this dive was probably one of those that was doomed from the beginning, the drysuit leak, forgetting your timer, yo your computer going AWOL. Don't fret it! You had two competent buddies and everything was fine! Next time, you wont forget these kind of things! Forgetting items like this- although really annoying, are also a great way to learn! I guarantee you will always double check your drysuit zip!
The only thing that I question was why such a big gear change configuration? Was it that you didnt want to bring so much gear to South Africa? My setup is my setup- period. regardless of whether I'm diving warm or cold.

SF

vjongene:
....snip...
I should have left the SPG connected, and just clipped it out of the way.

That's what I do. In the last 300 dives or so I don't think I've looked at it but it's not in the way. There's just something comforting about good 'ol mechanical spg's.

The second, at least from my viewpoint, is that a dive computer should never be the primary source of vital dive data, i.e. depth and tank pressure. If a similar problem had occurred during a deco dive, or with less experienced buddies, it could easily have turned into a really dangerous situation.

In this situation you still had access to current depth and bottom time. You had two buddies and they were with you throughout the dive, right?

On a deco dive I would be even less worried about a failed computer than I normally would. Typically you´d have the dive worked out on tables and your computer is basically a bottom timer anyway. You´d typcially have a much better idea of your profile, you would have done your gas management already and you´d typically be carrying ample extra gas for the deco phase. Your buddy can still provide you with current depth and run time information and backing out of that situation means making the dive shorter and less risky then it would have been if it had run its full course.

That said, if you were already over your NDL's and riding the computer to get you back then you'd be a little lost. That's one good reason to never do that.

That's not to say that redundancy is pointless but I would suggest that a failed computer is generally a minor problem....

R..

ScubaFreak:
The only thing that I question was why such a big gear change configuration? Was it that you didnt want to bring so much gear to South Africa? My setup is my setup- period. regardless of whether I'm diving warm or cold.
SF

There are two reasons for the change in gear configuration:

1) I always dive with two first stages in the lake, so that one can be shut off in case of a free flow. When you dive deep in water near the freezing point this is IMHO a necessary precaution. OTOH, in tropical locations this is not only unnecessary, but also you are not likely to find tanks with H-valves.
2) I do not take the Eon along when I travel, because it is heavy and clonky, but I need it in the lake because it has a compass attached (diving in near zero viz this is an essential piece of gear!) A small SPG and a wrist computer (Mosquito) are fine for warm water diving.

This being said, I am afraid that the Eon will go into permanent retirement (any takers?) and be replaced by a computer geared towards deco diving. The compass will find a spot on my wrist.

it is very important to not to panic when anything goes worng. most of the accidents happened because of panicing in such cases, You did well

ScubaFreak:
It's not that simple. For instance back home I dive with the same set up - two first stages - mainly because of cold water diving and the risk of freezing or free flow from the first stage. But our tanks have either H or Y valves. While for instance in Egypt double valves don't exist - all tank have only one valve. So the change in the configuration is rather neccesarry, isn't it?
I presume this is aslo the case of South Africa.

When I was buying my gear was in fact seriously thinking about the integrated computer. But then after a while of thinking I suddenly realised that a failure of the computer means I have no indicators. This is why I decided to get a wrist computer, classic SPG and so on.

Good you decided to call the dive - that was the cleverest thing to do.
Bravo!
Mania

vjongene:
There should be a special forum where divers can post their most memorable screw-ups
Uh, this is it...
Rick

Diver0001:
In this situation you still had access to current depth and bottom time. You had two buddies and they were with you throughout the dive, right?

Yes, and this is why I did not even get worried. They had all of the relevant dive parameters in hand (except for my tank pressure) and I knew that they wouldn't screw up the dive profile

Diver0001:
That said, if you were already over your NDL's and riding the computer to get you back then you'd be a little lost. That's one good reason to never do that.

That's not to say that redundancy is pointless but I would suggest that a failed computer is generally a minor problem....

I confess to "riding the computer" more often than I should. Whîle we don't dive without a plan, we usually just agree on the max depth and destination, not the precise bottom time. Having the bottom timer in hand allows switching back to tables if ever. There would therefore be another lesson: plan the dive more carefully (although in this particular case that would have made no difference).

Never rely on the computer, IT is your back-up to your analog equipment.

BigboyDan:
Never rely on the computer, IT is your back-up to your analog equipment.

so you carry a depth gauge or bottom timer and use that and maybe a watch,
and if one of them fails, you then turn the computer on? or is the computer on
the whole time, you just don't look at it unless either the watch or the
depth gauge/bottom timer fails?

why even bother with a computer then? just carry two bottom
timers and two watches and leave the blasted computer behind.

i do rely on my computer to be my sole depth gauge. however, i don't rely
on it to be my sole time piece (i have an extra watch), and i always check
the tables before diving to figure out my NDL to the planned depth, just
in case of computer failure. (i have considered having a redundant depth
gauge, but i feel the possible benefits are slim for the kind of diving i do, and
it would just be another piece of clutter)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom