When do regulators freeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had thought that freezing regulators was an issue when diving in ice or there abouts. But in another thread a member was talking about seeing ScubaPro Mk25/S600 regulators freezing in water as warm as 55 degrees down to 42 degrees. I understand that where I dive in Texas, ~55 degrees is about the lowest temp I am going to find. But I am wondering for my safety and my daughters safety if we should avoid that ScubaPro model and look for one of the environmentally sealed regs like the Zeagles. We are going to buy tomorrow morning and would like to feel confident in our purchase. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

If you free flow the reg (or are sucking air like a race horse :) ), you can freeze it, which then puts it into a fixed free flow state until you warm it back up (melt the ice formation). This can be done in less-than-frigid water, because the air flow acts as a coolant.
http://www.divernet.com/gear/flow396.htm

He was talking about the piston in the first stage freezing. Anyone heard of that?

It's that first stage freezing up that causes the freeflow that Mark mentioned.

Another advantage to having an enviro sealed first stage is that it keeps the gunk that's in the water out of the first stage where it can gum things up.

(Or go Sherwood -- the little bubbler works pretty well :) )

No you will not have a problem with the Scubapro.

Jarrett:
I had thought that freezing regulators was an issue when diving in ice or there abouts. But in another thread a member was talking about seeing ScubaPro Mk25/S600 regulators freezing in water as warm as 55 degrees down to 42 degrees. I understand that where I dive in Texas, ~55 degrees is about the lowest temp I am going to find. But I am wondering for my safety and my daughters safety if we should avoid that ScubaPro model and look for one of the environmentally sealed regs like the Zeagles. We are going to buy tomorrow morning and would like to feel confident in our purchase. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
I've done hundreds of dives in water way colder than 55 degrees and never had a hint of a freeze-up. In some places here, a layer of fresh water on the surface of the ocean can be almost at the freezing point in winter. Sometimes there are patches of ice. -Still no freeze-up. I dive with an old Conshelf 14 by the way, -sturdy, but not exactly high-tech.

Yes, it does happen. First OW/drysuit cert dives, I had a reg freeze on dive 2. Lake Ontario in April isn't tropical :)

Drove the reg into freeze and freeflow, right off the bat during descent. I needed to detune it, no problem once I found out (though diving was done for that day)

markfm:
Yes, it does happen. First OW/drysuit cert dives, I had a reg freeze on dive 2. Lake Ontario in April isn't tropical :)

Drove the reg into freeze and freeflow, right off the bat during descent. I needed to detune it, no problem once I found out (though diving was done for that day)
It must be the completely fresh water that does the trick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom