When did you start using a Rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickHeil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When did you first begin using a rebreather?

I'm just starting into more advanced/technical diving and doing more Deco dives.

I'm not looking for anything radical... just longer dives, sometimes deeper (dives like the Oriskiny), sometimes just more total time underwater water during trips (especially when on liveboards).

Before upgrading my equipment with doubles and double everything... it sounds like a rebreather might be worth considering.

Should one start with doubles then 'graduate' to rebreather... or can you go right to the rebreather?

Curious to here your thoughts...

With 200 or less dives, I'd get some more experience first though that's not mandatory. It partly would depend on what actual experience and training you've had more than just the number of dives. Then, I'd skip the doubles and go straight to rebreather.

First tried a rebreather in 1995. Diving one continuously since 2006.

You can go straight to a RB if you wish. I considered doing so but after thinking long and hard about how much and what sort of diving I actually do, I decided to go down the doubles path first.

A set of doubles provides all the time in the world for light deco dives and provides safety through redundancy. The open circuit deco skills you learn (bail out, gas changes, etc) are also required for the RB.

Also consider that you need to dive your RB frequently to keep your skills up: and unfortunately in my case I’m just not diving deep often enough at the moment (say >100 dives a year) to justify one.

Still – good question and I’m interested to hear what others say on the doubles vs rebreather tec path: how many rebreather divers here still dive their doubles?

Last edited:
I love the simplicity of doubles and a stage or two in the water but the time and effort to get there and on the dive I wanted just made it harder and harder to feel motivated.

You´re ready to go CC when you feel it´s worth it to YOU, for whatever reason, as long as you make an informed decision just enjoy the silence (or not)....

Hi Rick,

I think it was 1972.:D

The why at that time was bottom time. I don't think doubles and rebreathers are mutually exclusive. While most of my diving is with rebreathers, 99% of the rest is with multiple tanks, usually double or triple 40's. I can't remember the last dive that I made with a single (other than grabbing a pony to untangel a rope).

If you are sure that you are going to go with a rebreather, you might want to limit your doubles to twin HP100s or even smaller.

You can go a long way on OC before the gear becomes the limiting factor. I'm not quite to CC yet, but when I go it will likely be for convenience and logistics. Doing multiple mix dives over a weekend is a major PITA with all the fills, lugging all the doubles and bottles around, etc, etc, etc. One thing you have to consider though is that if the **** hits the fan on CCR, you have to get yourself out of the dive on OC. So if you are doing Advanced Trimix level dives on CCR, it would be wise to have that level of experience on OC as well (that's what I am doing anyway).

Ryan
(watching the euro drop as I save for a rEvo :) )

Thanks all, thats the kind of feedback I was hoping for. The points about still being proficient with OC, for bailout, etc. is a good point.

An interesting related point comes out... how much should you dive to be a capable, competent, safe CCR diver. Living in Utah, while we DO have diving!, I won't be in the water every weekend... more like 30-50 dives per year, half on 3-5 day multidive dive weeks, the rest on 1 or 2 day weekend dives probably once a month. Knowing full well its almost an unanswerable question... how often should you expect to dive to stay proficient in CCR. Of course the type of dives makes a key difference.
There is much about CCR that sounds so appealing, but how much should one dive to realistically consider CCR?

Well, there is always "Couch Diving". It can keep you proficient with your check list etc.

Back
Top Bottom