When did modern BC's show up???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Circa 1985 with an ADV prototype at Seaquest...

Attachments

• David with BC 1985.jpg
    David with BC 1985.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 40
Use this link to the Google Presenter Slide Show. Go to Present it and click through the animations.

The History of buoyancy compensators_2015
TY, always appreciate being a little less uninformed 😉

As kid, I was enthralled with Sea Hunt and fascinated by the exploits of Jacques Cousteau. Thanks for that reverie in your presentation. Oh yea, thank you for your own efforts along the way!

I was numerous times denied the use of my early SP back inflate BC and later fussed at incessantly by self appointed DMs about my back inflate SeaTec BCs to the point that I always kept (and still do) a functioning horse collar BC and almost threw in the towel and got a poodle jacket. Why so much grief, and we are talking 70s and 80s mostly here, well, it was claimed that the back inflate BC would shove a diver face down and a jacket style (or horse collar) would float me face up (prove that!). My retort was to show me the USCG approved Type rating on any BC of any sort showing that they are designed to be anything other than for buoyancy compensation regardless of what other possible and unproven qualities they might have.

Was in a dive store last week where the salesman told me; ‘I didn’t want a back inflated BC because it would float me “face down” at the surface’ - regardless that I’ve been diving bp/w for decades and I somehow managed to still be alive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom