when and how to become divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daani

Registered
Reaction score
Petalax, Länsi-Suomen Lääni, Finland, Finland
# of dives
100 - 199
I currently have OWD cert and a few dives only. what would be the best way and where? I'm looking towards an intenship in october/november, i exspect myself to have atleast 40-50 dives, maybe AOWD and rescue diver cert also, I know my EFR already so I could ship that.

So lets suppose I've done the divemaster internship and have around 100 dives what about making a living as one? Would it be like smashing the head against the wall looking for a job? Actually to get some offers for an intership would be nice :)

Last edited:
In the USA, those who want to become divemasters take a specific course, do a number of supervised guided dives, and get the certification - 2 friends of mine just got their divemaster cer't and thats how they did it - through PADI - I assume the PADI or NAUI or SSI or whatever agency you use has uniform standards world wide.

Both were experienced divers with +/- 100 dives before their course - so yes, experienced, but did not have thousands of dives and 20 years experience (they are both super people too!)

So you don't need to have sailed on the Cousteau expiditions, but I'd say you need a minimum of dives where YOU feel very comfortable b/f you move into divemaster -

What is that number? Who knows, only you can answer, but it will likely be between 25 and 100 dives.

You ask about employment - for me, I decided the best way to hate diving was turn my hobby into my work - That said...

You will likely not be able to do an internship leading to divemaster, because in many places, they have already certified DM's and Instructors in place to lead the dives, etc. - many places prefer to hire instructors vs DM's.

Once you are a certified DM, there is the possibility of employment in resort areas around the world; my only advise is do it when you are young and single as the pay is low and the work hard. Can it be done - sure; just be prepared for a number of trade off's vs abundant and "free" diving.

There are also various schools - know some here in Florida - that will take you from not certified to instructor; not cheap either. My only problem with that is diving is an activity you build up confidence over time by diving.

I would not feel comfortable with an instructor w/ 100 dives under his/her belt, but that's me.

Good Luck.

I don't know about Europe, but everywhere else I've heard about, you can make a fine living as a divemaster, just as long as you have a lifestyle that doesn't involves spending any money.

If you have a spouse/significant other or trust fund paying your bills, you'll have a great time.

I suggest you look into the search function on the top of your screen. This topic has been discussed in length numerous times, in fact there was a thread started just 1 or 2 days ago with the same question.

There are two different topics here. One is when to become a divemaster, and the other is whether you can make a living diving.

On the topic of when to become a divemaster -- A DM generally has one of two functions. Either you are facilitating and/or leading divers at a tourist site, or you are assisting with classes. In either case, you need to be comfortable enough in the water that you can execute all your diving requirements essentially unconsciously, while assisting someone else who is in distress or not coping. In addition, even while leading tours (and much more so when teaching) you are serving as a role model for other divers. It is my belief that the skills of people teaching diving should be stellar, and I think it's difficult to accomplish that in 100 dives, especially if a good many of those dives are training dives, as they will have to be on your time frame.

Many, many people learn to dive and immediately think, "Wow, I'd love to do this for a living!" The reality is that some people manage to do it, but they generally make sacrifices in other areas.

As mentioned earlier, you may want to read the "I want SCUBA to be my job" thread. Those few insights will quickly put into perspective the challenges associated with trying to make a living in this ultra-competitive industry. Best of luck to you and keep diving!

There is no real one answer to this. I had been certified for over 10 years before I did my DM. I didn't do it for the money as I get paid nothing. I did it because I wanted to and enjoy working with the students. I help with classes at the pool, lake and aquarium.

I enjoy being in and around the water. This was just a way to get me there more often. In my younger days I worked as I lifeguard and then LG instructor and also swam competitively.

I took the long route for my DM. It took about six months. Started in the winter helping with pool classes and doing the book work/exams. When summer came along I helped at the lake. This method worked for me as I could do it around my real job. I probably had triple the number of confined and open water session PADI requires.

As far as making money good luck. It's a way of living if you do it full time.

I've been volunteer firemen for 2-3 years and have experience with smokediving and first aid bouth field and training. So scubua diving aint that new to me just a new enviorment.

I suggest you look into the search function on the top of your screen. This topic has been discussed in length numerous times, in fact there was a thread started just 1 or 2 days ago with the same question.
Same same but diffrent

Just to put make it clear, I'm not looking to make money just a new lifestyle. Also I'm intressted in what other options then working with tourists there are, I've tryed to google for some volunteer dive job, but seems like i have to pay to do moast of them. Only thing i need is food, shelter and diving :) I'm achually turning my home into a backpack right now...

As with others, you asked two things.

All of the agencies have criteria on what is required to be a Divemaster or DiveCon. It involves experience and training certifications prior to the course. Once you train for it, and get certified, then you are able to act as a "Dive Leader". I know SSI requires liability insurance to be "active", which you must renew every year. You also work through a shop (no independents, as a QC check on training standards).

As for a living, that's a tough one. Of all of the dive boats I've been on, the DM/DiveCon generally work for tips, only. Rough way to make a living.

Even if you don't decide to do it professionally, the training will make you a much better diver, regardless.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom