Wheels should stay on the car...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
...They work better that way.

Friday morning I was driving to my second day of my new job, which was a month into my new life in a new state and environment, in my new (new to me, at least) car. The sun was a few inches off the horizon and the light just turned green.

Release the clutch, give it some gas, turn up the music. 35 miles per hour. This is the point when nothing is supposed to happen on my way to my new job. This is the moment that should never amount to anything and just become part of the constant segue of daily-grind level events that don't get registered under "long term memory."

This time it did. This was the time that the rear passenger-side wheel flopped off the car and went careening into a bush, about a foot away from clearing a fence into Kahala Elementary School, where there was a playground that was nowhere near desolate.

"What is going on right now? The back of the car dropped and there is a strange grinding noise that is in no way reminiscent of rubber on pavement...no, that is steel on pavement...why am I hearing this?"

Brakes. Nothing. Emergency brake. Functional. Stop. Sit. Collect thoughts.

"Where the hell is the wheel!?"

I looked around and didn't see the wheel that should have been connected to my car. Instead I saw an amputated limb of the axel and brake backplate, bleeding badly and needing cauterization. There was nothing I could do but watch my car bleed brake fluid to death.

AAA. Tow-truck. Mechanic. Understanding Employer. 3 hours late for second day of work.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday.

I did not expect this. Maybe an oil leak, maybe a snapped belt or two, but a wheel!?!

$1100. But it all could have been worse. Much worse. The tire went into a bush instead of the playground. I was not taking a corner or going any faster. My girlfriend, who was actually on the way to picking the car up from me, was next in line to drive where this incident could have, and probably would have, happened on the freeway.

No one was hurt, except for my wallet, which broke a rib and has a ruptured spleen.

It broke off the axel?...That's bad (been there, done that)....and you are lucky when you think could of happened. Glad you're safe and I'm sure your boss understood.

that happened to me once, not fun sliding down the road on three wheels. At least mine was a back wheel, I think that is easier to control. My wheel ended up out in the middle of a wheat field that was nearly ready to harvest. Didn't think I would ever find that puppy.
Bob

All i can say is yikessssss!!!
Never happened to me, hope it never does either!!

There but for the grace of god etc

Hokey smokes! Well, I'm glad your safe and sound! Good calm thinking on your part and amusing read to make a light of a situation that others would have been sour over.

I haven't had a wheel come off, but I had a blowout at 60 mph in the middle of a bridge with no shoulder. It's not fun to control a car that's missing a wheel or tire. Glad your wallet took the fall instead of you.

I had something similar, I was just pulling out of the drive way and clink! the right front wheel falls off. Luckily it didn't happen the night before when I was 75 MPH + coming home from the airport....check to make sure there isn't a recall on this, have the garage check. On mine there was a recall and the car company paid to fix my 7 year old car, did both front wheels.

Last time it happened to me. my left front departed as I was entering turn 9 at Mid-Ohio at 95 mph. Thank God for those barriers made from old tires!

DEF:
Last time it happened to me. my left front departed as I was entering turn 9 at Mid-Ohio at 95 mph. Thank God for those barriers made from old tires!

Wow...what were you driving out there? Mid-Ohio is one of my favorite tracks, too bad Champ Car don't run there anymore. I still remember that day Michael Andretti barrelrolled his Lola 8 or 9 times through the kittylitter out there and walked away from it, shaken but uninjured...

DEF:

Wow. What was the mechanical failure and how did it get past tech?
-Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom