What's your Worst diving day ever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of je link werkt niet of je bent aan het spammen. Je hebt 4 vergelijkbare threads gestart en ik vermoed de 2e. Ik heb de moderator gevraagd om het te onderzoeken.

R..

Today was relatively bad: we were 3 guys going down: me, just wanting to get some more experience, the dive leader (PADI instructor) and another guy undertaking re-breather speciality course. The viz was like 0 and we were told to follow the anchor line down. At around 14 meters the other guy suddenly disappears, and the instructor and I spend 1 minute looking for him to no avail - so we go up and find him on the surface, floating face up, with puke all over his face. Hmmm... Getting him on the boat he continued puking all over while we sped towards the marina. Turned out the re-breather suddenly stopped working or something. Don't know the full details yet, but when I left for my hotel, the instructor and the guy were still sitting in the boat talking about it. Guess the poor guy was pretty shaken.

ugh.

well, I went to the Bottom of Blue Holes and back under to the mouth of "The Temple of Doom" and all of a sudden I felt impending diabolical doom. I felt the bowels of hell were getting ready to engulf me and I HAD to get the hell out of there. I did not panic but I did not safety stop. I have never done that again but it was creepy. I will post the place so you can relive my moment...I think it was about 100 ft.

Boy, you asked for it ........ my worst day ever was on my first open water dive ever, checkout Dive 1 for my OW. It was soooo bad and so quick, it didn't even count as Dive 1.

I had serious bending over issues with the farmer john wetsuit I rented. When I finally got it on, I was exhausted and sweating. I had this stupid vest BC that constricted me around my big fat azz gut. Then I had like 40 lbs of weight on a weightbelt that further restricted my breathing. Needless to say, I was weighted down and felt like crap.

When I got in the water, I couldn't even get my fins on in because I couldn't bend enough at the waist to do so. The instructor and his assistant had to help me with that! When we finally descended, the weight belt had slipped down to my hips and I then put way too much air in my BC and I floated back to the surface. As the instructor and his assistant were trying to help me tighten the belt around my big fat waist, my right fin slipped off and is now lost somewhere in Monterey Bay. If you see an otter with one blue fin, that's mine. He might also be wearing a snorkel I lost a couple weeks later.

Needless to say, end of dive. Walking back on shore, the weight belt had slipped all the way down to my knees. My gut just couldn't keep it up there long enough. I was so distraught, took me buying a lot of my own properly fitting gear, doing *just* a bit more cardio in the gym, and 3 weeks before I was finally comfortable and happy to do dive my 4 OW dives with absolute ease and earned excitement!

My worst day, so far, was the last day of diving on my recent trip to Key Largo. I didn't even dive. We were in 7' seas, and when we got over the Duane, we found Portuguese man-o-wars all over the place. Viz was down to -25', and the wind kept gusting harder. Fourteen out of the twenty-eight people on board, were tossing their cookies off the stern.

I didn't get sick, but I thumbed the dive. Someone ribbed me about it and I replied, "Forget it. If this were a military mission, I'd be the first one in the water, but I do this for recreation. I'm not diving this crap."

I was glad to be back on dry land, when it was all said and done, and I wasn't even one of the ones who got sick.

Bad days are relative. We did a bareboat charter in the BVI's some time ago. One of the couples ( well, the guy actually) could not get the message on TP and marine heads so we ended up spending one day anchored at Beef island while a repair guy rebuilt all four heads. Hot, nothing to do, NO DIVING!!

After we were back for a few months we got together for dinner and pictures. The same guy said "Remember that day when all the head were stopped up and we couldn't dive or do anything? I haven't had a day that good since we got back!"

dpbishop:
Bad days are relative. We did a bareboat charter in the BVI's some time ago. One of the couples ( well, the guy actually) could not get the message on TP and marine heads so we ended up spending one day anchored at Beef island while a repair guy rebuilt all four heads. Hot, nothing to do, NO DIVING!!

After we were back for a few months we got together for dinner and pictures. The same guy said "Remember that day when all the head were stopped up and we couldn't dive or do anything? I haven't had a day that good since we got back!"

LMAO! I would have been tempted to immediately drown him. Ha ha...

Well a group of five friends chartered a private live aboard for 5 days to go out to the Dry Tortugas for some diving. The seas were really rocking and we were never going to be able make it out that far so we decided to do some diving in the Keys. I had a bad cold but what the heck I'll just take some Sudafed and I'll be fine right? Well on the way up from the second dive I developed a severe reverse block in my frontal sinuses that would not go away. I asked them rush me back to Key West ER where I would see if I could get the ER Doc to either use a needle to aspirate or a scalpel to cut open my forehead to relieve the pressure. That's how bad it was....it felt like my sinuses were tearing away from my skull =(. My friends went back out to do some diving and came back to pick me up. Now the seas were cresting to eight feet and we weren't going to be diving so we decided to stay out cruising along the keys for a roller coaster ride, do some partying. The Captain was in radio contact with his friends and they wanted to know what we thought were doing out there in a fifty five foot yacht.... The capitan said "I'm with some crazy people from Michigan who think this is fun". We promptly informed him that this was better than driving to Cedar Point in Ohio and waiting in line for an hour to get on a roller coaster!!!

Blase1,

BTW your question should have been "what was your worst day diving?" Under current usage, the Baddest day would be the best day. Go figure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom