What's your vision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR holds very little value for those who don't seek it out on their own. At the recreational level, all DIR does is refine the more detailed skill development that was taught when diving was in its infancy. At the time, the equipment, practices and understanding of the physiology made diving riskier than it is today. The more rigorous training was necessary to offset some of the risk. Now, you are taking a very small risk and make it slightly smaller. The risk/reward just isn't there for the vast majority of divers who dive once a year on vacation for a few years before moving on to another hobby.

At the technical diving level is where the empasis needs to be placed because that is where the risk goes up significantly again. But, even there the voices of the personal preference crowd are louder. Those that "get" it will seek out DIR on their own. Despite doing as many or more cave dives per year as open water dives, my general view is that the popularity of technical diving is very bad for recreational diving as a whole. I wouldn't necessarily feel that way if you could weed out all of those lacking the skill to participate and get the majority of technical divers to dive strictly DIR, but that is never going to happen. So, I cringe and try not to watch the bozanity and help those that show an interest in learning.

This pretty much nails it for me too.

From the perspective of someone who hasn't gone very far on the DIR path, I think that certain personality types will seek it out.

Personally, I've always been the type of person who likes to be in "the top 10%" (regardless of hobby). When I like something, I want to be good at it. DIR seems to fit this rather well, it pushes you into improving areas that in recreational diving don't get much focus (really, how many people even practice something basic like mask removal & replacement in cold water unless they are forced to in a course for instance, forget about getting to their valves etc).

For the person who just wants to splash around, what do they really care about their trim and how exact their buoyancy is?

You can't force people to want to push themselves in what many see as a "nice relaxing hobby where they can get away from it all".

Having said that, I'm not sure how much beyond Fundies I'll go. I'm not looking to get into technical diving in the next little while, there are only a few spots around here where I'd really like to be able to go deeper and stay longer (like the wrecks of Nanaimo). I'm not going to take further training just "because".

My $0.02 :)

Bjorn

From the perspective of someone who hasn't gone very far on the DIR path, I think that certain personality types will seek it out.

Personally, I've always been the type of person who likes to be in "the top 10%" (regardless of hobby). When I like something, I want to be good at it. DIR seems to fit this rather well, it pushes you into improving areas that in recreational diving don't get much focus (really, how many people even practice something basic like mask removal & replacement in cold water unless they are forced to in a course for instance, forget about getting to their valves etc).

For the person who just wants to splash around, what do they really care about their trim and how exact their buoyancy is?

You can't force people to want to push themselves in what many see as a "nice relaxing hobby where they can get away from it all".
While I tend to agree with all that DIR is really for people who are self-motivated ... there needs to be something in between that and what most people get for scuba "education". I'm not really interested too much in what you call it, or in who's "camp" it falls ... but things like better bouyancy control, gas management, good buddy skills simply aren't taught adequately, if at all ... and a lot of people don't pursue those things more out of ignorance than a lack of desire. If all the DIR controversy on the Internet has accomplished nothing else, it's at least made a lot of people aware of what they didn't know they should be thinking about.

I don't advertise my classes ... but based on the number of inquiries I get from people who hear that I offer something more challenging than usual tends to tell me there's more than just tech divers and vacation divers out there. It would be neat if there was an agency out there who could accommodate those folks. Frankly, I don't think GUE is ... or even wants to be ... that agency.

Having said that, I'm not sure how much beyond Fundies I'll go. I'm not looking to get into technical diving in the next little while, there are only a few spots around here where I'd really like to be able to go deeper and stay longer (like the wrecks of Nanaimo). I'm not going to take further training just "because".
Oh Bjorn ... the wrecks are the least of the motivation in your area to get technical training. The real attraction are the walls. Cloud sponges and red gorgonians can be found at recreational depths ... but they look pretty anemic compared to the stuff that's down deeper. Van Isle's got some amazing deep dives ... if I lived closer to where you live, the helium costs alone would keep me in poverty ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Contrasting that, the philosophy greatly favors the central route. People who take the time analyze the information often see the benefit of DIR, and therefor incorporate some (or all) of the ideas contained. It is highly logical and thought out, and some people have an affinity for that.
I think this is one of the reasons that DIR has a disproportionate % of divers on the "internet".

The "surfing" community has a large number of geeks (computer geeks, engineering geeks...) and the logical system would appeal to them.

Unfortunately, this doesn't explain Nadwidny.

Oh Bjorn ... the wrecks are the least of the motivation in your area to get technical training. The real attraction are the walls. Cloud sponges and red gorgonians can be found at recreational depths ... but they look pretty anemic compared to the stuff that's down deeper. Van Isle's got some amazing deep dives ... if I lived closer to where you live, the helium costs alone would keep me in poverty ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Brian (Nadwidny) and I saw some real cool sponges at 240ft.

I think this is one of the reasons that DIR has a disproportionate % of divers on the "internet".

The "surfing" community has a large number of geeks (computer geeks, engineering geeks...) and the logical system would appeal to them.

Unfortunately, this doesn't explain Nadwidny.

Hash. Lots and lots of hash.

Brian (Nadwidny) and I saw some real cool sponges at 240ft.

They probably were tiny and lame, you just got Air instead of 15/55 :lotsalove:

To Bob: I'm not really that interested in deep wall dives Bob. And being in Seattle, you really aren't that much further from Vancouver Island than I am.

I have always been interested in going into wrecks. Not sure why, just seems like a cool thing. So if I do take fruther training, it's going to be so that I can "peek inside" if you will. I know Marc likes to come up to dive Ansel ...

Or maybe I'm just scared of being that deep ... or that I'd have to sell one of my motorcycles to afford the He :wink:

Seriously for a minute: I'm all over people having good buoyancy and buddy skills. But I think I had pretty damn good buoyancy and buddy skills before taking Fundies (to the point where Lynne said "You won't have any problems passing fundies", for whatever that is worth, after we dove together in Nanaimo). I don't leave my wingman and watch out for the other guy and that's just when we are riding motorbikes. But I agree that there is additional focus on better skills because people are taking classes that are focused on it.

Still, you can have that without having to go to GUE / AG / "DIR agency of choice". But I don't think you can support a dive industry on it. Most people get certified to look at the pretty fishies IMO. Though a number change once they get hooked.

Bjorn

The latter. After more than a few years in the fray and being at the forefront of the DIR movement in my area I now don't give a crap what the new people are doing. I use to care but I've found that those that have the drive and intelligence to get it, will get it and will pursue DIR training on their own (point of interest is that our beloved JeffG falls perfectly in this category). Those that don't get it...F'em. I won't be diving with them anyway.

Do you dive with Woofer***** ? I think the videos are wicked cool ! :wink:

PS. I like diving with JeffG too. He likes to drink beer and tells good stories. :)

Do you dive with Woofer***** ? I think the videos are wicked cool ! :wink:

I know Woofer mostly through the internet. I finally met him in March at the funeral of a mutual friend. I have never dove with him because he lives 2000 miles away and I don't get to his area too often. I have dove with a few of those featured in his shows and have met pretty much all of them. I agree. He does great videos.

PS. I like diving with JeffG too. He likes to drink beer and tells good stories. :)

And he has the best hash.

My answer to TSandM's question is; We've found an easier way to dive, one that works from the most demanding technical dives to the most relaxed recreational dives. As a new convert (less than one year) I'm learning to temper my desire to "preach to the world" about how all the basket case divers should come to the light.

I think that we should lead by example and cause others to want to be like us.

There's nothing wrong with being elite, provided that we don't title our self as such.
Brent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom