What's your vision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious . . . What's your vision of the utility of DIR diving? Is this something that should be the province of an elite few, or a philosophy that "ordinary divers" should be encouraged to take up? Should we be doing everything we can to encourage new divers and make the path to DIR easy for them, or should this be the province of those with the perserverence and intelligence to figure out how to get their on their own?

Just asking to get a reference point for where most people "in the fold" are coming from.

Just curious . . . What's your vision of the utility of DIR diving? Is this something that should be the province of an elite few, or a philosophy that "ordinary divers" should be encouraged to take up? Should we be doing everything we can to encourage new divers and make the path to DIR easy for them, or should this be the province of those with the perserverence and intelligence to figure out how to get their on their own?

The latter. After more than a few years in the fray and being at the forefront of the DIR movement in my area I now don't give a crap what the new people are doing. I use to care but I've found that those that have the drive and intelligence to get it, will get it and will pursue DIR training on their own (point of interest is that our beloved JeffG falls perfectly in this category). Those that don't get it...****. I won't be diving with them anyway.

Well.......

I feel that most people don't have the desire to cultivate the skills needed for DIR diving. However, gas planning should be universal stuff, even if it is highly simplified.

I recently was interoduced to the Elaboration Likelihood Model of persuasion, which shed some light on why some people take to DIR, and others scoff at it.

DIR appeals to people that take a "central route" of information processing. DIR has high "elaboration potential" along the central route.

However, DIR definetly does not appeal to the "peripheral route". Backplates do not appear comfortable, math often discourages people (MOD, min. gas, tank conversions, thirds, halves, all usable, 120 rule, etc) and it is easy to see DIR as something rigid, therefor removing the "fun" from diving.

Contrasting that, the philosophy greatly favors the central route. People who take the time analyze the information often see the benefit of DIR, and therefor incorporate some (or all) of the ideas contained. It is highly logical and thought out, and some people have an affinity for that.

Hopefully, the interested reader will research the ELM a bit more, and learn about its properties and how DIR fits into that model. I feel the the ELM shows why GUE's open water course hasn't really taken off.

I think the DIR approach has much to offer to the average recreational diver. I am in the program monitoring and improvement business and the reality is that changing a system takes time. However if you approach it from a take it or leave it F'em if they don't like it perspective, they will choose to leave it every time. Much more progress can be made with a more measured and constructive approach over a longer period of time.

For example, you may not be able to get a new diver into a backplate when their instructor just got done pushing them into the poodle jacket his shop sells (and offending the diver by insulting their recent purchase will not help) but you could easily get them to see the merits of a long hose and convince them to invest $35 to start down the road to adopting more and more DIR practices. Over time, this approach would increase the number of divers exposed to DIR principles that are potentially interested in in learning more.

PR is also an issue. If a DIR diver regards any non-dir diver as a stroke and refuses to dive with them or even associate with them in a positive manner, then the DIR group will essentailly isolate themselves and come off as an elitist and unfreindly group.

I agree you would not want to partner with a non DIR diver on a serious and demanding dive, but that attitude may be overkill for a 40' dive in the local quarry where the opportunity to buddy with a non-DIR diver would be an opportunity to sell the DIR philosophy and build better public relations. For example on that dive the non-DIR diver may observe your superior bouyancy, control and fin techniques prompting them to ask about it - opening the door to training, better configuration, etc.

There is no question that it is work to deal with a new diver who may be a mess in the water, but you have to ask yourself at some point how much you are willing to give back to the sport in terms of both helping newer divers and in terms of advancing the sport as a whole.

DA Aquamaster, you and I are absolutely on the same page, and what you describe is exactly what I try to do.

I see DIR as having great utility in recreational diving, but it honestly seems really aimed at technical diving. As I am heading there, one of the reasons for learning the system now (and employing it in the recreational diving arena) is in preparation for the latter. So, the concepts (teamwork, gas planning) may individually translate over to recreational diving, but the system is most useful in technical situations.

That being said, I agree with Tom. A diver needs to come to DIR on their own, because of the commitment and time and energy that needs to be devoted to it, and because of the fundamental nature of the system.

Just curious . . . What's your vision of the utility of DIR diving?

DIR holds very little value for those who don't seek it out on their own. At the recreational level, all DIR does is refine the more detailed skill development that was taught when diving was in its infancy. At the time, the equipment, practices and understanding of the physiology made diving riskier than it is today. The more rigorous training was necessary to offset some of the risk. Now, you are taking a very small risk and make it slightly smaller. The risk/reward just isn't there for the vast majority of divers who dive once a year on vacation for a few years before moving on to another hobby.

At the technical diving level is where the empasis needs to be placed because that is where the risk goes up significantly again. But, even there the voices of the personal preference crowd are louder. Those that "get" it will seek out DIR on their own. Despite doing as many or more cave dives per year as open water dives, my general view is that the popularity of technical diving is very bad for recreational diving as a whole. I wouldn't necessarily feel that way if you could weed out all of those lacking the skill to participate and get the majority of technical divers to dive strictly DIR, but that is never going to happen. So, I cringe and try not to watch the bozanity and help those that show an interest in learning.

Just asking to get a reference point for where most people "in the fold" are coming from.
I am happy to say that I dive in the DIR style if people ask or question something I'm doing, or if I am explaining why I did something or another in a particular dive story (we all have good ones). But when people tell me of their problems or issues they've had diving that may not have happened had they been DIR diving, I don't immediately say "you should be DIR diving or you're going to die." I sometimes tell them that "this or that" may have helped in that situation. Or "that happened to me before I started diving the way I do." That sometimes helps.

But unless people specifically ask me where they can get GUE/DIR training or "dive like I do," I don't offer it up. It makes me feel pushy. And, most of the people I'm talking about only dive a couple times a year. To me, those people won't benefit much from DIR as they will tend to feel over-confident with their new-found knowledge, but be dangerous without the practice that I believe is needed to go along with it.

As Bob Sherwood has always told me "show them with your diving." People will ask if they are really interested in becoming better divers. A lot of people aren't... and that's OK... for them :)

Chris

PR is also an issue. If a DIR diver regards any non-dir diver as a stroke and refuses to dive with them or even associate with them in a positive manner, then the DIR group will essentailly isolate themselves and come off as an elitist and unfreindly group.

Thats just an internet thing. I have never seen that in real life. I'm a dive **** and will pretty much dive with anyone. As the difficulty of the dive goes up, the requirement of being more "DIR" is greater. (and I don't think many people would have a problem with that.)

But, quite frankly, I cannot be bothered to convince anyone to "convert" to DIR.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom