Question What's your safety stop depth?

Which setting would you use for your safety stop, given the choice?

• 3 m

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • 6 m

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Whatever my dive buddy uses

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Never mind what my computer says, I'm doing it at 5 m / 15 ft.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • I don't do safety stops

Votes: 12 10.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I typically run my Perdix in rec mode because the safety stop timer is automatic once the safety stop depth is reached. In tec mode, which I do use occasionally when running VPM-B +2, the timer must be started, stopped, and reset manually which for me is a PITA.
For what it's worth, if you set the "cleared counter" to "on" in the deco setup, you do get a safety stop counter in tec mode as well. It counts up from zero when you reach the safety stop depth (and when all deco is cleared). It won't tell you when you're "done" (but you already are, of course, since this is a safety stop) but you can look for 5 minutes or 3 minutes or whatever you please.

I am now envious, I paid good money for my garmin and I found out here it cannot even teleport ;-).
Btw, how is this different from old fashioned computers which show tissue load bar on the side? Only difference being it is interpolated to surface pressure and converted into percentage. How do you folks know you will not be bent by non controlling compartments? This whole thing sounds to me like bs production at the first look but when now when I looked around, there quite a few discussions on this. Am I going to be happier ignoring this or am I missing something out that will change my life?
In my opinion its life changing :D
Its the percentage of how close the leading compartment is to the M value, if the diver would be at the surface.
As far as i understand its not really important which compartment this number dictates, because the percentage number is relative to the M value, which is different in each compartment.

Its mostly a tool to decide: is it safe( or how risky is it) to go to the surface right now.
If surfGF is 80 then the leading compartment is at 80% M value and the diver can decide if its a acceptable risk to surface right now. Which compartment dictates the number is not important in that usecase.

I use it for extended deco stop, or decide how long i do safetystops. If its warm and i feel good, then i stay longer in a SS to further reduce the surfGF.

And of course i can always teleport to the surface, if i feel cold. Because i got a shearwater. Heared timetravel is going to be in the next firmware update

I am now envious, I paid good money for my garmin and I found out here it cannot even teleport ;-).
Btw, how is this different from old fashioned computers which show tissue load bar on the side? Only difference being it is interpolated to surface pressure and converted into percentage. How do you folks know you will not be bent by non controlling compartments? This whole thing sounds to me like bs production at the first look but when now when I looked around, there quite a few discussions on this. Am I going to be happier ignoring this or am I missing something out that will change my life?

Yes: you can now both set your conservatism to "paranoid" and ignore your computer entirely on the dive!
Because Surfing GrapeFruit is calculated from the base M0 values and not from your current High GirlFriend, you can have it both ways: safe and conservative.

(Of course it only works with computers that ignore missing mandatory deco, but -- TADA! -- they "just happen" to be the ones that do 99 GirlFriends in the first place.)

For what it's worth, if you set the "cleared counter" to "on" in the deco setup, you do get a safety stop counter in tec mode as well. It counts up from zero when you reach the safety stop depth (and when all deco is cleared). It won't tell you when you're "done" (but you already are, of course, since this is a safety stop) but you can look for 5 minutes or 3 minutes or whatever you please.
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll try it if I can ever get back to diving again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom