What's your feeling about a "Jersey Reel"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am interested in opinions about using a Jersey Reel for North Atlantic diving, to be used as an upline. I know they are big, bulky, hard to release from the the bungees, and can be an entanglement hazard, but on the other hand, they are easy to use and the thicker line (if kept fresh) is easier to use than the thin line of a reel or spool.

It would be a second line, because I also will need to carry a reel to tie in near the anchor line, because vis can be so poor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

You do not want to be drifting in the north atlantic if you cannot find the anchor line and have to ascend somewhee else. With ships, fog and waves the chances of the boat not finding you after everyone else is done with deco are pretty real.

A lightweight line like #24, #36 or #48 will most likely not hold you in a significant current so heavier line is a good idea. Also in a strong current, you may need twice as much line as you have depth to ensure the bag breaks the surface.

I don't like the way the traditional Jersey reel mounts on your tanks, but a shorter, larger diameter reel butt mounted to the rear D-ring under the tanks makes sense as it is less likely to snag and easier to deploy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom