What's your favourite place/resort in Cozumel ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VOLKERL

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’ll be in Mexico first two weeks in November - a week in Tulum and then another week in Cozumel (unless there is a different place I should go ?) Second week I will be on my own. What is a good place to stay and dive ? Someplace with a nice house reef would be nice, as would a beach if possible. Meeting a few people is a plus.

We like the Occidental. We also like staying in town too.

What do you expect from a dive operation should dictate where you stay.

There are some condos for rent not far from the Money Bar. You might look into one of those, although it might be pretty pricey to rent one on your own. There's a nice small hacienda style hotel called Village Tankah about 1/4 mile north of the cruise ship pier. I've stayed there dozens of times over the years and I like it quite a bit. There is no beach there.

Beaches are generally south on the island, where the big all inclusive hotels are. If that's your style, then try one of those. There are no 'house reefs' in Cozumel, all the standard dive sites are in the marine park and you must get on a boat with a licensed guide to visit them. There are some ok shore dives between the cruise ship pier and downtown; one of the more popular ones stretches from Villa Blanca hotel to Blue Angel. Either of those places might be a good option for you too.

If you want a really great beach (IMO) then Ventanas Del Mar, over on the ocean side of the island, is something special. The down side is that it's very isolated from the rest of the island and it's a long drive across the island to get to any of the dive sites and operators. A rental car would be an absolute must unless you like spending $100/day or more on taxis.

You didn't say where you are staying in Tulum, but if its in the beach zone, I don't think you'll find anything on Cozumel comparable. You might do best switching gears in that case and focus on diving.

There is a lot of drug cartel violence in Tulum right now, I would read up if it's still on going when you arrive.
I would stay between Playa del Carmen and Akumal. A lot of good cenotes to dive along there. You can also catch a boat out of PDC, Puerto Adventuras or Akumal.

Back
Top Bottom