What's Wrong With This Picture?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you know it was overlooked? You seem to be implying the people who VIPed and filled the tank are incompetent. What probably happened is this. The owner of the tank took it to an LDS for a Hydro and VIP. The LDS sent it out to a hydro facility for testing (as most do), where the year was stamped upside-down. The tank passed and the LDS VIPed it and filled it aware of the unique markings. It is funny and good to share to alert divers to double-check the hydro stamps but it is not right of you to imply there is some sort of wrong doing on the part of the dive shop.

Except for the fact this is 2012 and if the tank was VIPed continuously the mistake would have been missed at least 3 times. FWIW I have caught the same mistake on tanks. The hydro facility just fixed it.

Except for the fact this is 2012 and if the tank was VIPed continuously the mistake would have been missed at least 3 times. FWIW I have caught the same mistake on tanks. The hydro facility just fixed it.

While I agree the hydo facility made a mistake by marking the tank upside down I am not sure if the shop made a mistake by VIPing and filling the tank. Legally, does the marking need to be right side up before filling the tank? Again as I mentioned if the shop is aware of the upside-down markings then there is really no mistake.

AMS511,

I was deliberately NOT placing blame or calling anyone out in particular. The RIN corresponds to a facility in another state, well outside the service area of the shop that was performing the subsequent visuals. The stampings were not done correctly. Knowing that it was a 6351 tank, why raise any additional questions or hoist any more red flags? It's just sloppy work. The tank was retested and properly stamped.

Anyway....The other tank with the home made hydro stamp was brought in for a fill under the guise of a properly tested tank.

besides the back to the future reference, there is one more thing wrong that I see....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom