What's the "right" path to Ambon or Sorong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to Raja Ampat twice last year and stayed at the Sorido Resort....and I am going back for my third visit in November. The best diving I have done so far. It is a pain to get there being they no longer have the Sunday flight from Manado to Sorong (SoWrong). Either I have to fly in on Saturday to SoWrong and spend the day or fly into Makassar on Saturday nite and catch a Sunday AM flight to Sowrong to catch Max's boat on Sunday....But it is worth it!!!!

I've been to Sipadan, Layang Layang and Lankayan before....thought the diving was OK nothing special...been pretty much fished out.

Hi can somebody tell me if the diving in Raja ampat is really worth the travel? It is very hard to get to, and i was told the vis is mostly around 10-15m which does not sound too exciting to me. But i have heard many mixed reviews - of the large schools of fish, variety of species. Are we talking about micro staff or is there a mix? How would the diving there be like compared to say, Maldives, Sipadan or even Bunakan?

I would appreciate some inputs and comments from you if you have been there as I am thinking of planning a 7-10 days trip in December, but I'm alittle daunted by the travelling time and do not want to be disappointed if I had my expectations up too high.

Yes, it is worth the travel and the money.... I've been on three trips to Raja Ampat (2004. 2005, 2006- all liveaboards).... I went there after a liveaboard trip to Komodo which I thought rocked but Raja Ampat is teeming with big fish and at the time that I used to go, there were literally no other boats in the area. We were the only divers in the water.... You will see the same pelagics in Sipadan, Bunaken and anywhere else, but these fish seem to be less skittish iow dont associate divers with danger. There are lots of different species of barracudas on the same dive, huge schools of jacks, blue fin, giant trevallies and they are all very approachable. That said I have not been back in 3 years and I know that Raja has become a popular destination meaning that there are more boats out there with more divers in the water at the same time.

I've been 3 times in 3 consecutive years and have never been disappointed and I have been diving consecutively for 27 years.

Hope this helps.

hate to bump an old thread but now i am faced with getting to sorong before december 6th. i plan on being in Bali for a week or so before so believe i will be heading to sorong from DPS, any suggestions on airlines? and any estimation in the amount of time i should leave for error in travel and price i might be expecting to pay? i have been looking into flights but they can definitely be confusing to say the least. thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated
-Tyler S

Is there Manado-Sorong flight on Saturdays? Also, I'm planning on staying at the Kri Eco resort (due to cost). Anyone any advice e.g. re mosquitos, extras to take etc

I notice that Travelnsj has experience of the more expensive resort. Can you advise?

Is there Manado-Sorong flight on Saturdays? Also, I'm planning on staying at the Kri Eco resort (due to cost). Anyone any advice e.g. re mosquitos, extras to take etc

I notice that Travelnsj has experience of the more expensive resort. Can you advise?

The Kri resort is very basic...but most people enjoy it. Take a good bug spray with Deet. Nothing else special I can think of....ask away if you have any questions.

Thanks for the update guys..but due to budget contraints we have decided to head to ALOR in December instead..Can anyone give some insight and any comments on the diving there ( say in comparison to the Maldives and Sipadan )?

Are there any big staff to see? I've heard that it's pretty good, has anyone been there recently? How is the water condition in December? Should I have a 5mm wetsuit? I've heard that the currents are wicked over there and I have an open water diver with me..what should I look out for? I would appreciate any advise...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom