whats the news on the missing Vortex diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockdownx99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i see there were about 2-3 different threads, all locked shortly after they were started, and no one ever followed up. i have been to the vortex in ponce de leon fl a few times and plan on going again here shortly and was wondering what was going on around there. please stay on topic so we can keep this thread open.

This is the only information I could find closest to today's date from channel 7 news.

" Updated: 8:21 AM Sep 14, 2010
Experts Don't Believe Missing Diver is Actually in Cave at Vortex Springs​
After hundreds of man-hours searching the cave, some are beginning to doubt McDaniel's body is inside. Experts cave divers say the evidence just isn't adding up.
Posted:
10:26 PM Sep 13, 2010
Reporter:
Meagan O'Halloran
Email Address:
meagan.ohalloran@wjhg.com
wrdw-video-included.gif
Vortex Springs Mystery Still Unsolved

It's been almost a month since 30-year old Tennessee native Ben McDaniel supposedly disappeared while cave-diving at Vortex Springs. After hundreds of man-hours searching the cave, some are beginning to doubt McDaniel's body is inside. Experts cave divers say the evidence just isn't adding up. The case is as tragic as it is bizarre. No one has seen or heard from Ben McDaniel since Wednesday August 18, when he was last seen preparing to make a dive at Vortex Springs near Ponce de Leon.

Dive shop employees notified authorities two days later when they realized his vehicle, keys, and valuables were still in the same place he had left them. Since then, recovery efforts have been underway with some of the top diving experts who have gone as far as humanly possible inside the cave, and still no sign of McDaniel. This is leading some of them to believe he may not be in there at all. The International Underwater Cave Rescue and Recovery Group was here over the weekend to search the cave again.

"We do not believe that he is in this cave. No one else could have gotten to the end of the cave or a perceived beyond without having extra bottles in the water to be able to get himself in that far. As small as the environment gets the further you get back, you can't carry those bottles through that. So he would have had to leave them and drop them, leave them and drop them until you get to the back; Because at the furthest point of this cave, the diver can't move with anything on" says Larry Green, the Regional Coordinator of the group. The restriction narrows down to inches.

Search teams found 3-labeled decompression tanks with McDaniel's name on them, and a few articles of clothing near the entrance of the cave. With the very little evidence, experts don't think McDaniel could have made it very far. Homes County Sheriff's officials aren't ruling anything out, extending their search on land and throughout the park.

"We've had cadaver dogs come to the scene, we've had helicopters, the Sheriff's posse has done a thorough search of the inside of the cave, and at this point in time we haven't had any indications" says Captain Harry Hamilton. Green believes the mission is becoming too dangerous to continue deploying even expert divers.

"There's another scenario other than him being lost or hidden in this cave-- now what it is? That I don’t know." Authorities say they will continue to investigate and are still holding out the hope they will bring closure to the case. Sheriff's officials are considering the deployment of an underwater camera to maneuver the tight confines, not accessible to the divers."

either he went into a panic and manged to dig himself into some tight area of the cave that collapsed on him and nobody is going to be able to find him -- or else he's going to turn up on facebook photos with a new wife at his wedding in a few years...

there's very little point to this thread because there's not going to be any news, except entirely by accident...

there's nothing to see here, nothing to try to find... at this point anyone trying to find him in the cave is only putting themselves at risk of becoming yet another fatality... the ROVs that were tried failed substantially short of where the cave divers could reach...

this incident is basically over. he's either dead or he isn't. that's the best anyone can do here.

Were is 3 stage bottles empty, full half full etc.??

either he went into a panic and manged to dig himself into some tight area of the cave that collapsed on him and nobody is going to be able to find him -- or else he's going to turn up on facebook photos with a new wife at his wedding in a few years...

there's very little point to this thread because there's not going to be any news, except entirely by accident...

there's nothing to see here, nothing to try to find... at this point anyone trying to find him in the cave is only putting themselves at risk of becoming yet another fatality... the ROVs that were tried failed substantially short of where the cave divers could reach...

this incident is basically over. he's either dead or he isn't. that's the best anyone can do here.

i think there is very good point to this thread as there are alot of people that either dont keep up with the day to day news or just have happened to miss the little bit of new that has been covered on this topic. i dive to vortex as my "home spring" so to speak but i am far enough away that my news channels dont cover their local info. i think maybe there is little point to this thread for you. maybe you know everything that has happened. in which case, either indulge us or just sit back and let the ones that are willing to converse in this thread do so. thanks.

as far as i remember from previous coverage, the bottles were all full. im starting to think maybe this was an insurance scam. although the family cannot collect for 7 years if there is no body, it would be a good investment in someones eyes im sure. i think there would be more evidence other than some staging bottles and the dudes personal effects being left in his truck. something just doesnt smell right to me.

as far as i remember from previous coverage, the bottles were all full.

hmm..... My recollection is that they weren't full. I'll go check the other threads.

im starting to think maybe this was an insurance scam..

He's single and most likely if he had any insurance policy, his parents were the beneficiary named. Doesn't seem like they were in on it. (of course anything is game at this time).

I doubt he had enough insurance to matter. Most single guys without a job don't.

as far as i remember from previous coverage, the bottles were all full..

hmm..... My recollection is that they weren't full. I'll go check the other threads..

Found it.

Yep. They were NOT full.

from http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5514137-post50.html

[post=5514137]#5514137[/post]
2 tanks in OW were pulled out, one was half filled, the other had something like 800psi in it. One was air, the other had 36%. Neither of the two tanks in OW had regulators, and one of them had a broken valve that needed a set of pliers to open with(bungeed to the tank). There was another stage in the cave, no idea of the contents, but the tank was negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom