What's the maximum no fly time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a lot of it depends right. All of this is just theory, based on many years of real-world experience. I honestly got a Suunto dive computer simply because it was so conservative and my job takes me up at altitude every day or so. So yeah for the average person can do 4-5 dives over a couple days and wait 24 hours, go fly on the 25th hour and be fine, since they probably do that every so often, if even, once a year. But for me, if I dive on my weekends, wait 24 hours to go fly, then go fly, I’d be doing that 4-5 times a month.

Basically what I’m getting at is, if you’re the average person, 24 hours is statistically fine, but if you’re not the average person (like say where a job requires that you go up in altitude every time you’re at work. Maybe you want to build in some of your own personal limitations

I’ve done lots of liveaboards like that and don’t think I’ve ever seen my Suunto Vypers/Gekkos suggest no-fly times over 24 hours.
May be also due to the settings and dive profiles. My Suunto is set to a personal setting if 0, and I was doing square profiles right to the NDL limit because they were channel dives where you go down to the bottom of a channel at about 30m, hook in and watch the show until you run out of NDL (ie NDL turns from 1 min to 0 mins, which means that you have 59 seconds to unhook and start the journey up.) I seen to recall that after a week of multiple dives a day, I had a no fly in that was in excess of 24 hrs. What setting and profiles do you dive?

The 48 hours no fly was when I was doing decompression diving and had the Suunto on guage mode. Despite being in guage mode, it was still tracking my NDL and deco obligation in the background without my knowledge. As I was diving with multiple gas mixes and doing accelerated deco with O2 rich gases, my deco obligation clears much faster than the Suunto’s calculation which is based on a single gas. So it started to show a no fly of 48 hours and would not let me change it back into dive mode until after the 48 hours no fly had passed. In other words, not only did it give me a 48 hour no fly, it also locked me out from dive mode for 48 hours.

One more thing to consider.... Like deco time, no fly time is really a question of individual physiology. The Dive computer gives us a good theoretical proxy, but every diver is different and the type of dives you performed were unique. We know this because we have examples of unique divers that have exceeded conventional limits without problem and we have divers who have followed all the guidelines and still received DCS hits. 24hrs is a good guideline for an average dive, remembering that your physiology and the unique dives you performed are really the determiner.

I seem to recall my Zoop Novo once showing me a no fly in the region of 27 hrs. But a lot of people just follow 24 hrs.
Was that a no-fly time or a totally-desaturated time?

Our ancient uwatec aladins show both a no fly time and a desaturation time when in surface mode. The desaturation time can be many many hours past the no fly time. In the manual the sample display shows 2 hours no fly and 8 hrs 29 minutes desaturation.

Was that a no-fly time or a totally-desaturated time?

Our ancient uwatec aladins show both a no fly time and a desaturation time when in surface mode. The desaturation time can be many many hours past the no fly time. In the manual the sample display shows 2 hours no fly and 8 hrs 29 minutes desaturation.
And yes, after a week on a LOB and a 27 hour no fly time our computers still show multiple hours of desaturation time.

May be also due to the settings and dive profiles. My Suunto is set to a personal setting if 0, and I was doing square profiles right to the NDL limit because they were channel dives where you go down to the bottom of a channel at about 30m, hook in and watch the show until you run out of NDL (ie NDL turns from 1 min to 0 mins, which means that you have 59 seconds to unhook and start the journey up.) I seen to recall that after a week of multiple dives a day, I had a no fly in that was in excess of 24 hrs. What setting and profiles do you dive?

The 48 hours no fly was when I was doing decompression diving and had the Suunto on guage mode. Despite being in guage mode, it was still tracking my NDL and deco obligation in the background without my knowledge. As I was diving with multiple gas mixes and doing accelerated deco with O2 rich gases, my deco obligation clears much faster than the Suunto’s calculation which is based on a single gas. So it started to show a no fly of 48 hours and would not let me change it back into dive mode until after the 48 hours no fly had passed. In other words, not only did it give me a 48 hour no fly, it also locked me out from dive mode for 48 hours.
Not doing decompression diving, or square profiles, or pushing the limits every dive. None of which is typical vacation diving and probably not what the OP has in mind.

No surprise it locked you out since you lied to it. The lockout and the 48 no fly are False Positives and hence are meaningless data points.

Kind of like how my computers react after a battery change when I pump them down to 200 feet in a few seconds in the pressure chamber and leave them there for an hour. They go berserk. But I understand the information they now provide is meaningless.

FWIW, Buhlmann compartments 1-10 will completely clear within 14 1/2 hours, with 11-12 clearing completely by 24. The remaining four might take longer, but even on a liveaboard trip doing 27 dives in 5 1/2 days I've never seen those accumulate any significant amount of inert gas.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom