whats the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
a 72cf tank and an 80cf... if you did exactly the sames dive with each tank, how much longer can you dive with the 80cf...is it such a big dif?

It would depend on your personal breathing rate (surface air consumption rate, or SAC) as well as the depth to which you're diving.....

The difference in volume between a 72 and an 80 is about 10 cubic feet........ (the '72' actually holds closer to 67 cu.ft, and the '80' holds around 77.4, though this can vary slightly depending on the maker of the tank)

So, how long does it take you, personally, to "use up" ~10 cubic feet of air? :wink:

yes... also, it would depend how deep your dive is

10 cf is not much of a difference at 80 feet. it'll take you a lot longer to go
through 10 cf at 20 feet

around here i've only been diving 40-50 max...so it seems that like you said, big difference...considerably more dive time with 80

all4scuba05:
around here i've only been diving 40-50 max...so it seems that like you said, big difference...considerably more dive time with 80
Well, I figured it up using an excel spreadsheet from the 'SAC Rate' thread, and with my SAC rate, it would be a difference of 8 minutes at 50 feet....not much.

Since the question was

all4scuba05:
... if you did exactly the sames dive ...

The answer would be that you would last about 10% longer with the larger tank.

On a deep dive you might extend your bottom time a small amount (about 10%) and on a shallower dive you might extend your bottom time a bit more (like about 10%). Only you can decide whether that is a "significant difference".

Of course when you consider the fact that a 3 minute safety stop would use a larger percentage of the smaller tank then . . . .

W

Wristshot:
The answer would be that you would last about 10% longer with the larger tank.

oooh... i like that answer

er...

that's what i was trying to say! :wink:

my choice was a 72steel vs an 80 aluminum...with the 80 being $100 more...i've made up my mind...thankyou guys

all4scuba05:
my choice was a 72steel vs an 80 aluminum...with the 80 being $100 more...i've made up my mind...thankyou guys

Wow, you must be picking up the steel for around $50? Al80's are selling for around $150. Is the steel 72 used? If so, have it checked out before you buy or have the seller guarantee it will pass the $30-$40 hydro (if it's out, of course...).

WD

Back
Top Bottom