What's the difference between jetfins and the copy cats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I think XS scuba and OMS make fins that are "copie" of the SP jet fins. Anybody know if there are any real differences or if saving a few bucks on the copies would be worthwhile?

Thanks...

The main diff is the material they are made from. I know that the OMS is a lighter rubber then the SP.

Not necessarily bad if you need/want lighter fins

price and not having the Scubapro name on the top of the fins are the major difference ........... Jet fins were the "leading edge - top of the line" 30 years ago .... now everyone has copied their style and they no longer stand out from the crowd except for being the high price ones now.

IMO, the apollo biofins are as good or better than the jetfins. Both are exceptional fins!!

jasonX5:
IMO, the apollo biofins are as good or better than the jetfins. Both are exceptional fins!!

Agreed

if nothing else: Availability of xl's

But, as long as you put your fancy DIY spring strap, I am not sure if SP will provide the life time warranty.:05:

Wayward Son:
Possibly the warranty. SP now has a lifetime warranty on them. Dunno about the others.

I agree Apollo bio fins are great! I didn't like them, however, when I dove in doubles - they didn't give me enough ooompf and I can't backfin in splits.

In regards to the differences between SP jet fins and those fins that look like them, I also have noticed the difference in material has affected the weight of the fin and thus where my feet want to hang in the water. I have also noticed sizing differences - I don't mean just in the sizing offered, but in the sizes themselves. I have an old pair of idi blades very similar to the SP jet fins. They are Large, but I cannot wear them with my DUI rockboots. I can only wear them with my neoprene booties that I wear with my warm water wetsuit. One of my dive buddies has Turtles, another similar styled fin, and my foot SWIMS in the pocket.

I've also noticed a slight difference in the fin straps (the ones they originally come with) too.

Put the word out to divers in your local area and see if they have differing pairs of jet-styled fins they'd be willing to let you check out. Doing this, I've been able to compare the idi, SP, and turtles. :D

Back
Top Bottom