What's the deal with ikelite ports exactly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chem

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

I have a few questions and I can't find the answer.

1. Can I use a port with say "xxxx" if a "xxxx.zz" is suggested and/or the other way around? Only the length differs, so why not buy the biggest one? Or in my case, a second hand 5503.82 and I need a 5503 according to ikelite for a 10-77 tokina - is that possible?
  2. If I take a regular 6" standard dome; and I need a different port but the same dome - can I just buy the port, or are the port and dome 1 piece?

Thanks a lot for these simple questions :)

#1 - if you are talking flat port, then getting a longer one than needed is not recommended. If you are talking dome port, then for sure not. The lens optical pupil needs to be in the right position in the dome.

Do you really mean the 10-17 tokina, not the 10-77 right?

#2 - the port and dome are one piece. If you want to save space and money in the long run, the modular port system is what you want. Then the dome is separate, and you can get different lengths of port tubes.

Ah yes, the 10-17 indeed.

Thanks for the clearification!

You can't use the 10-17 with a port longer than what Ikelite recommends, you'll have focus issues and vignetting.

For best results, you'll want the 8" dome and the .10 or .11 stalk depending on your housing - whether is has 2 or 4 port locks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom