What's the coldest water you would dive in a 5 mm suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My god most of you would die here.. My wife did her check outs in 32 F water the other day with a 7mm farmer jane with gloves and hoods and the only thing she complained of was her face. I wear a one piece scubapro 7mm semi-dry all year round.

5mm no problem in 60 degree water all day. i wore my 5/4 at 115ft the other weekend for two dives totaling an hour and never got cold

My first dive(OW class) was in a 8C pool; approximately 45F, I had a 5mm wetsuit and a 3mm shorty over with 3mm gloves it was OK didn't feel cold (unless first entry of course) but my face was freezing by minutes, after 30 min we stopped for drinking tea but after tea I couldn't resist cold more than 10mins; then my instructor offered me to stop this useless activity and I just got out ended that first :Open Water Cold Diving Class! :rofl3:
After two weeks we went to Bodrum to do classes and I got certified

Pool was my offer and my instructor thought that it would be a closed pool and he came without his gloves and you can see our inductive solution on his hands..

So I learned to listen to my instructor without discussing...

I have the same Henderson Hyperstretch Titanium 5mm suit. We dove in Puerto Vallarta in January-February 2006. The water temp at the surface was 68-70 degrees, and in the low 60's down below the therocline. I was was warm enough near the surface, but got a little chilly at depth. I had a 5mm hood with me, but I didn't wear it. If I had, then I probably would have been much warmer.

Those Hyperstretch suits are really nice. I just bought a 3mm for our Cozumel trip next week. I can't wait to try it.

I'm thinking of selling the 5mm suit because I don't think I'll be diving the Pacific side of Mexico very often. I want to get a decent dry suit for diving here in the pacific northwest.

I seriously thought I was a wimp with water temps, but I guess I'm not as wimpy as I thought! There's sooo many that dive dry even in 70-75 degree water! Wow!

In my 3 mil Henderson Hyperstretch, I'm ok to 70 degrees if I keep moving. If I'm hovering over a site (say... for a ScubUNO game).... I get chilly after about 10-15 minutes, but not cold enough to call a dive.

At the DiveQuest in Epcot, you must wear their gear... and they give you a 2 mil shorty to dive 76 degree water! That was a little chilly at first, but didn't notice the temp at all once I started interacting with the crowds and following the sharks around!

I think the 5 mil will keep me comfy down to 63 or so.... and "borderline" between 60-63 degrees. I'm not game enough to try it in water any colder.... and I'm anti-7mil... so, when it's that cold, I'll travel to warmer destinations to dive! :wink:

RJP:
If the water is wet, I'm diving dry!

75F or colder: DUI TLS350 w/appropriate undergarments
75F or warmer: DUI 30/30 and DUI stretch liner

I'll be doing 25-30 dry dives on the Cayman Aggressor next week. All the other passengers will be snickering. Except my buddy, who will also be diving dry.

I dove last week off Boynton Beach. The water temps were 77-78 and there was a guy diving dry. A TLS350. Very experienced diver and I assure you, no one was laughing at him. Even if they had, he certainly wouldn't have given them a moments notice. He was warm and dry while most of us weren't.

erparamedic:
I just purchased a 5 mm wetsuit (Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch), and I'm wondering... what is the coldest water that you've comfortably dove in a 5 mm wetsuit?

Now, I'm fully aware that each person is different, but I'm guessing, I could dive in 60 degree water and be fairly warm. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences! :D :blinking: :)

For you Jamie, I'd say 80 F. :D

There's sooo many that dive dry even in 70-75 degree water! Wow!

That's not only for temp reasons...it's also often for convenience. It's a heck of a lot easier to don/doff a drysuit than a wetsuit, IME. It also is way more convenient to put the drysuit back on later in the day for your second or third dive than it is to put on a wet wetsuit.

I'll take my drysuit until the water is warm enough I'm sweating my butt off in it. :D

Cheers,
Austin

In the low/mid 50's Shaws Cove in a Pinnicle 5mm with the merino wool lining. Warm as could be. Last June went to Catalina and had to rent a 7mm in the same water temps I was COLD after about 10 min. Probably not a fair remark as the rental 7mm was in poor condition with many holes. Hence the reason I purchased my own wet suit. I also own a 3/2 Neo Sport that is quite a significant difference between higher end suites. I will keep it only for a backup for multiple dive trips in warmer water, as its really not any better than a shorty suite. On the other hand I was looking at 7mm one and two piece suits when a LDS (ScubaViews) talked me into my Pinnicle 5mm. I have read here on SB before and heard from others on the Pinnicle suits so I was sold. I really like the less bulk and the soft neck collar of my 5mm and the merino wool lining is extra warm.

or you can always do what my buddy does, he just pees in his suit once he hits the water. Nobody knows but him and he is warm! EUWWWWW

Back
Top Bottom