What's slowing the fixes to Oceanlog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RAWalker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
It seems the the Oceanlog software we want to complete the computer packages we purchased from Oceanic takes one step forward a 2 steps back.

Oceanlog version 2.2.0 seemed functional but later versions added new fields. These new fields/features are fine additions but not at the cost of reintroducing old bugs. The new version takes care of printing issues in the dive details page but an old bug reappeared in the gearbag section that won't allow users to clear or zero the weight fields.

As someone who has done his fair share of programming I find it difficult to accept the reappearance of old issues. The amount of time taken to address, fix and release new versions that address these bugs is rediculously long. These aren't all new software releases these are bug fixes and should be corrected in a matter of days not weeks or months.

If Oceanic can not be responsive to the needs of it's computer users who purchased computers with download adapters then maybe they should release the source code for Oceanlog and allow programming savy users to solve the problems ourselves.
Alternately without the problem resolved Oceanic should consider issuing credits to anyone who owns one of their computer products which this software is supposed to work on, with greater credits given to those who's purchase includes a download adapter.
At this point I hessitate to take action against a company that makes high quality scuba products that are generally good values but I feel Oceanic is really dropping the ball on this issue.

Last edited:
You know, I was nodding my head in agreement as I was reading through your email - to a point. In two years publicly "out" on this forum, I have never once deleted or edited a post, and I won't start now. You have used language that is not appropriate - certainly not in a public forum "sponsored" by Oceanic. Whether it's justifiable or not in your eyes, we are not solely focused on just this single product category. I have been more than receptive to any and all feedback provided in this forum and elsewhere. Perhaps I have missed something, but am not aware of any burning issues to be resolved at this moment.

You and I have had direct communication regarding this product for quite a while - your input has been genuinely well received, and specific changes have occurred as a result. I would have hoped for a slightly different approach.

If you'd care to further discuss our "legal responsibilities" as they apply to downloading software - it will not be done in this forum, nor with myself.

Yea, those last couple of sentences certainly would make it hard to expect Oceanic to openly discuss... However the idea of open-sourcing the software is worth discussing! If Oceanic is not selling the software then it seems like a win-win to open it up. Or am I missing a revenue stream somewhere?

I like RA WALKER have been frustrated old problems recurring when a new release is available. I do not have the know how to re program software. Therefore, I am happy for Oceanic to solve the problems. However, I do think a little more testing should be done before it is released. This may stop people like me getting frustrated. I do think Oceanlog has come along way. We are almost there fixing all the problems. Let's all give Doug and the guys a chance to get it right. The only real problem I am am aware of is the weight section in the Gear Bag, it always puts a value in the weight belt section even if you don't use one like me. So Doug fix that problem and I for one will be happy.

You know, I was nodding my head in agreement as I was reading through your email - to a point. In two years publicly "out" on this forum, I have never once deleted or edited a post, and I won't start now. You have used language that is not appropriate - certainly not in a public forum "sponsored" by Oceanic. Whether it's justifiable or not in your eyes, we are not solely focused on just this single product category. I have been more than receptive to any and all feedback provided in this forum and elsewhere. Perhaps I have missed something, but am not aware of any burning issues to be resolved at this moment.

You and I have had direct communication regarding this product for quite a while - your input has been genuinely well received, and specific changes have occurred as a result. I would have hoped for a slightly different approach.

If you'd care to further discuss our "legal responsibilities" as they apply to downloading software - it will not be done in this forum, nor with myself.

I'm sorry if I stepped too far and have edited my post.

I do want to state that Oceanlog 2.14 beta was released April of 2007 but was not the first Oceanlog product since the Atom 1.0 uses a earlier version.
Here we are 1.5 years later and this software is not functionally complete.
Having bug issues that were fixed in earlier versions reappear if a very disappointing failure.

As for this issue being reported the following links to the report that was made a few days after the re-release of 2.2.3:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/oceanic/253632-oceanlog-2-2-3-bug-report.html

klammer, the neat thing about open sourcing an application is that you personally do not need to know how to do the coding... Some other interested party will do it and I get the impression there are plenty of hackers lurking around here :) But in the end it will be a financial decision by Oceanic if they want to keep it in house and dedicate resource or turn it over to the community. The key to success in turning it over to open source is making sure there is an active community interested in fixing/enhancing the app...

klammer, the neat thing about open sourcing an application is that you personally do not need to know how to do the coding... Some other interested party will do it and I get the impression there are plenty of hackers lurking around here :) But in the end it will be a financial decision by Oceanic if they want to keep it in house and dedicate resource or turn it over to the community. The key to success in turning it over to open source is making sure there is an active community interested in fixing/enhancing the app...

Open sourcing doesn't mean that Oceanic would be off the hook for maintaining a working version for users to download. It does supply them with more input and resources. They would then be able to pick and choose what features to include in an "Official Oceanlog user release" The flip side is advanced users would have resources to customize and make it more to their liking whether by cosmetic changes or by adding or deleting items.

Actually I disagree. Once you pass it to open source you cannot be expected to be responsible. The community is responsible. You may be responsible to maintain the interface/api, but the code? I don't think so. Now if what you mean is opening up your architecture for people to extend, thats different.

Because Oceanlog is tied to the physical products that Oceanic produces (computers and download adapters)
Oceanic can not completely relinquish it's responsibility to maintain a function software product to satisfy the implied warranties of the hardware it has sold.
They will not be responsible for open source versions modified by users but they will have to have a viable and function software product available to customers that can not or will not use open source versions not supplied by Oceanic.
I other words, some people will still want a disc from Oceanic that works. Customers are entitled to that (we've already paid for it) and so far no one has received one.

Back
Top Bottom