What's "Service" Worth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vrcuc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new into this and just wondering what kind of worthwhile cost does "service" play with everyone on here. Some LDS's charge more and some charge less for things but those that charge more seem to provide more thorogh service than others.

It depends on whether you want the service they provide. If assembling a new regulator out of the box is an intimidating proposition for you, perhaps you should pay an extra $100 to an LDS so they will do it for you. Or perhaps you should grow a set. In general, I would expect new divers to value an LDS's service more than experienced divers, and local divers much more than vacation divers.

Reactions: Ana
Service is hard to quantify and put a price on. If I'm buying a writing slate to replace one I lost then service isn't worth very much. If however I'm looking to buy a camera and housing then service would become paramount. I'd gladly pay a couple of hundred dollars more in a shop that was going to show how to work the camera, service the equipment, and go dive with me or at the very least look at some of my photo's and offer tips.

Diving is supposed to be FUN! Not necessarily inexpensive. I'm more than willing to pay for the experience just as much as the product and a good dive shop will in my mind sell that.

The trouble with shops that charge more because of their great service is they charge that higher price whether you want the service or not. Usually I am interested in the goods without any service and, therefore, look for the better prices. Surprisingly, you can often find lower prices and good service if you shop around.

It depends on whether you want the service they provide. If assembling a new regulator out of the box is an intimidating proposition for you, perhaps you should pay an extra $100 to an LDS so they will do it for you. Or perhaps you should grow a set. In general, I would expect new divers to value an LDS's service more than experienced divers, and local divers much more than vacation divers.

Little harsh there, vlad.

When new, I would pay an LDS to assemble a reg set, and show me what to look for when I use it, such as inspection before and after diving.

I have taken an equipment class, but I still prefer to turn over regs and tanks to someone who is skilled and practiced in servicing them.

And service includes me walking in with a reg the guy hasn't sold me, isn't trained to work on, (and won't because of that), and yet will take the time to walk me through certain checks and such to troubleshoot a problem.

Service is taking the time after a class to video and point out to you some things of which you aren't aware. It's a form of mentorship -- but not everyone does it.

<<grow a set>> a set of what? wallets, regulators, service employees, dive shops....?
Sorry, I usually don't indulge in coarse vernacular. Have you really not heard that before? It means, metaphorically, to conjure up some courage. Testicles ("a set") as a proxy for courage is a common motif in literature and in conversation. I said that because I believe the obstacle to assembling your own regulator is not expertise, but a lingering fear that it's too dangerous to trust yourself with "life support" equipment. Dive shops realize this, and they reinforce it at every opportunity.

Little harsh there, vlad.

When new, I would pay an LDS to assemble a reg set, and show me what to look for when I use it, such as inspection before and after diving.

I have taken an equipment class, but I still prefer to turn over regs and tanks to someone who is skilled and practiced in servicing them.

And service includes me walking in with a reg the guy hasn't sold me, isn't trained to work on, (and won't because of that), and yet will take the time to walk me through certain checks and such to troubleshoot a problem.

Service is taking the time after a class to video and point out to you some things of which you aren't aware. It's a form of mentorship -- but not everyone does it.
Perhaps a little harsh, but, to be clear, I was not referring to ongoing service, just assembly of the new regulator. Unscrew a couple of port plugs, screw in a couple of hoses--people shouldn't be intimidated by it.

In my original post to this thread I did acknowledge that new divers would find a dive shop's service more valuable. That's fine. I pay carpenters, plumbers, accountants, etc., all the time--not necessarily because I can't do what they do (although that is often the case), but because they can do it better. But I'm not afraid to do my own taxes, or to snake my own clogged drain--just too lazy, mostly. It would take me longer, my timme is more valuable, and the job might not be done as well. In the case of a regulator assembly, I can do it in practically no time and I can do it as well as the dive shop would. So can just about everybody else.

I got it.
It was funny.

As you gain more experience and confidence with your equipment, you'll rely on a shop less than what you will when you're new.
Considering many people get out of diving after 2 or 3 years, why shouldn't shops make money by providing service to new divers who will need their services the most.

One day, you might get a reg back from service and find that it isn't performing as well as you'd like. You might decide to start servicing your own and rely on your shop less for this.

Or you might get great service and find that the cost is worth every penny to you.

Over time, you'll sort it all out.

As Vladimir mentioned, with more confidence you'll be putting your own gear together.

-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom