What's more important: brand or dealer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lerxt

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a regulator, and I've narrowed my options down to the Scubapro Mk25/S600 and the Aqualung Legend LX. I'm leaning toward the Scubapro, but here's my dilemma: the Scubapro is sold by three local dealers, none of whom I know, and with relatively short histories. The Aqualung is sold by the local shop where I got certified, a shop that has been around for almost 40 years and has gained my complete trust.

I'm curious about what others think - would you buy your first choice reg from a shop you don't know, or your second choice reg from a store you know and trust?

uberspeed:
I'd go with the AquaLung and call it a day. It's a wash in terms of the reg pretty much, both are from reputable companies with great warranties, but you have a relationship with a shop, nurture that.
Either regulator should work just fine for you at this stage of the game. But a mutually worthwhile relationship with a shop is more difficult to find. It will pay dividends when you take it in for service and he offers you a loaner, or gets the service done in two days instead of 5 or 6 (if you need it expedited). You're essentially exchanging loyalty for customer service and satisfaction - quid pro quo.

I can't think of any two top of the line regulators that perform better than those...I would have to go with the 40 year old shop. I have a couple of G250's one with a MK20 the other a MK10. I have also used the Legend LX and I will tell you this is my next reg.

i've paid more (ok... not much more) and gone out of my way to support an
excellent LDS nearby

i would go with the relationship with the shop under the facts as you give them

Although it may be difficult to see at this stage, sticking with someone who takes care of you will pay off greatly in the future.

Ditto to the shop. In this kind of business, it is always nice to have a good relationship with a local store. I also happen to own both Aqualung Legend and Scubapro Mk25/S600 and personally I actually like the Aqualung better so in this case, my answer is very easy.

I've said it many times in the past....Buy a high quality product that you can get serviced from a top notch shop. When you buy a high performance reg from one of the world's leading manufactureres, it is pretty tough to go wrong.

Greg

Buy the reg you can get parts for in the area where you plan to live and dive. I bought ScubaPro when I lived in Malaysia and could get rebuild parts there and in the Philippines no problem. Here in Belize I walk into a shop to get HP seats or just a cleaning (because I don't have the magical ScubaPro tool) etc and they look at me like I'm from the moon. Sherwood is big here. Lucky for me I met Scubkevdm of the famous "FL Conch Divers" here on SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom