What's Memorial Day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sasquatch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The big back-lit reader board over a department store in my town was headlined with "HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!" below which were a few specials for the weekend; sleeping bags, coolers and what not. I parked and went in but for some reason I couldn't shake that image of the billboard. I had other things on my mind but soon it hit me. The sentiment was badly misplaced and I was sure it was a result of ignorance on the part of whomever decided to use those words. I could have, and would have, let it go if it hadn't been for C.J. Williams.

I hadn't thought about him in years, Arnold Holland and Lieutenant Paul Duncan, too. Their names and faces just popped into my mind. This was a holiday created for them. One day out of the year when our normal routines are altered so that we can take a moment to remember men that died serving their country. Does everyone know this? I wonder.What I do know is that Memorial Day is to thank and remember all those like Williams, Holland and Duncan who served with me in the Marine Corps until they couldn't serve anymore.

I was lucky and nearly joined them but after 63 days in the hospital I lived to marry and have a family, friends and a career. They didn't. I get to SCUBA dive on a regular basis, and for all of the things and people I've known and loved I remember the sacrifices made by people like these. I'm grateful and I miss them.

Though I was expecting an ordeal after stating my case about the tone of the Memorial Day greeting the store manager heard me out and agreed it was an honest mistake further promising to have it changed. The next morning I drove by and it had been changed to read, "Remember Those Who Sacrificed Everything for Freedom".

To all of you, have a wonderful holiday and remember those that did their duty to the end.

To Arnold, Charles and Paul…Semper Fi.

Good job! A lot of people think that this is just a precursor to the summer season and they lose sight of / or don't know the meaning of this day. My kids and I are going to one of the local Civil War battlefields and then will be heading down to Quantico National Cemetary to see their Grandfather's (U.S. Coast Guard WWII)resting place.

U.S. Coast Guard 1983-2005 (USCGC Ingham, Station Ocracoke, Station Annapolis, Port Security Unit 305, Operation Noble Eagle, Operation Enduring Freedom JTF-160, JTF-170)

Semper Paratus

Jerry Kuykendall, Larry Turcotte

. . . and the countless un-named faces of the boys I medevaced out of the boonies.

Those who made it and those who didn't . . .

:salute:

Killer Spade 13, "B" Co., 229th Avn. Bn., 11th Avn. Grp., 1st Cavalry Div. (Airmobile)
Republic of South Vietnam

The Kraken salutes you

Coffee's on, flag is up.
Today I remember Cliff, and Steve, and Tom, and John, and others whose names I never knew.
Today my prayers are aloft for those who stand between me and those who would murder me and enslave my daughters.
God bless them all.
Rick
(Enterprise, Ranger, Coral Sea, Vinson)

While I did not personally serve (4F-knees)-I share the memories of friends family who did-some who came home alive and well, and some who did not.
To all who serve and have served:myrespect, prayers and gratitude.

Mike

Thank you for the reminder... I was feeling really melancholy as well because of the commercialization of the day.

My grandmother passed away last November, and she served in the Navy's WAVES program during WWII. Before she died, she told me stories of the work she did at a T.B. hospital in Oregon and as a courier for some encrypted transmissions (Enigma Project?--she wasn't sure, as she never looked at what she was carrying).

I am heading outside now to post our flag. Thank you, to all who have served to keep us free!

Now THIS is what Memorial Day is all about! Thank you very much, and I salute you, one and all!

:salute:

Right on! Nice to see the thread has been well visited. Cool thread on the Military Divers forum, too.

Sea ya!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom