What's it take to get real serious?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm wondering what people think it takes to become a extreme
technical diver. Someone the other day asked me what it takes,
implying the physical limitations that keep most people from being
an olympic caliber athlete. My understanding aside of being
basically healthy, it's more mental than physical. Brains and being
able to adapt your training and experience to instinct levels.

I think it's mostly brains and guts, and some $$ helps :)

What do people think it takes, and why?

-Jeff

It's 95% mental, I'd guess. Everything from having a lot knowledge and discipline to being slightly insane. The WKPP guys spend several hours (6+?) just scootering 6 miles at 300' in a cave then decompressing for several hours more (12hrs total in the water or so). The mental stamina for those type of dives is incredible. Of course, the physical requirements are also outstanding.

"Crazy" takes on a whole new meaning with that type of diving.

:)

Mike

Originally posted by funky__monks
What do people think it takes, and why?
Excellent cardio/vascular fitness so you can dive & decompress efficiently - no fat slobs

Lotsa moola so you can afford the equipment, training, & logistics for the dives - no bargain bobs

I think that it takes a great love of the sport and a heightened sense of adventure and challenge. Every one can dive tech, question is how long. It is my opinion that the greatest attributes for a tech diver are dedication, commitment and an open mind.
Physically most divers can be qualified to dive tech, if you have the dedication of training and keeping in shape. (If you are not up to par now that does not mean that you can’t be a tech diver, it may mean that you have to spend a couple of months in the gum before you try it out).
Yes the equipment cost a fortune, but if you want it bad enough and if it is a priority, most of the divers will manage it, just think hoe much money an average person spends on alcohol a year. It also costs a lot because your life depends on it. Most life support items in all sports are expensive, but the cost does not always dictate quality.
It is the mental aspect that limits most divers I know; self control, judgment and responsibility are the initial hurdles. Self-discipline and focus are primordial. I think the mental aspect is the THE hardest aspect of tech diving. Also it is the hardest of skills to learn or adapt (people have their own characters of philosophies that are unique and often not compatible with tech diving).
Open mind, tech diving was (lets say) perfected by trial and error often at a very high price. So learn from it. It is important to be knowledgeable and have analytical approach to all the daily changes in our sport to see what really works for you as you are the one to risk your neck out. (Now I DON’T mean to contradict the “experts”, but find out WHY a change was needed and why a new way was recommended).
THE most important things are is:
A Big truck, so sell your car, since the big truck won’t fit into the garage, use that space to store you tons of equipment.
A girlfriend/wife that likes diving, if not GOOD LUCK!!!
A frequent doctor miles for all the back pain visits. (learn how to do it right and most likely you won’t hurt your self.)
A power winch.
A baggage handler.

What do you think it takes?
m&m

:confused:

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Excellent cardio/vascular fitness so you can dive & decompress efficiently - no fat slobs

Lotsa moola so you can afford the equipment, training, & logistics for the dives - no bargain bobs

There you have it, straight from the Camel's mouth!

ID

Extreme Technical Diver, EH?

I have only met one person who I would classify as an extreme technical diver.
What is an extreme technical diver?
I do a lot of cave diving, ice diving, deep wrecks, etc. and I don't think I'm a technical diver. I'm a fun diver who has to use different gases and lotsa bottles to dive where I wanna dive.

Originally posted by Divesherpa
Extreme Technical Diver, EH?

I have only met one person who I would classify as an extreme technical diver.
What is an extreme technical diver?

I left it intentionally open. I'm trying to learn what the limiting
factor is. What keeps one from excelling to elite status...

Is it a physical limitation, or mental, or something else? Assuming
you have the money, and the limiting factor isn't the
wife/husband!

Or is it just different levels of sanity. The one with the least
becomes the best?

-Jeff

The best divers (technical or otherwise) that I have ever met had many attributes in common:

Confidence - They know their equipment, themselves and have have taken full advantage of their training.

Intellegence/Diligence - Tech courses and the like take some smarts as well as hard work.

Open Mindedness - Willing to listen to others and to discuss new ideas or techniques. They do not preach to others.... they communicate.

Humility - Know when the things that they are doing or using could be better and are not embarassed to admit it. A sense of humour is a big part of this.

Curiousity - They generally have an itch that can't be scratched.... What's out there, how do I get there, what is the best and safest way to that destination . This applies to any destination whether it be a physical place or a level of training on the road to get there.

Cautious - See humility and add a liberal dose of what if?

Finally:

Patience - Patience - Patience

This diver knows their limits and is willing to accept them . They don't own a pair of rose cloured glasses and don't care for people who do.

Diving or pushing limits is a life challenge for them it is not a substitue for a healthy and well rounded lfe. Diving is an escape, but it is not the only good thing in their lives. They rarely crow about there acomplishments as they speak for themselves.

Labels such as extreme technical diver are terms used by others to sell magazines and are not something they wish to have applied to them as it belittles what they have worked so hard to accomplish.

Just a few things I have noticed in the people that I admire as divers technical or otherwise, please add some of your own.

:D

M I C K E Y all together now... M O N E Y

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom