Whats it like wearing a full face mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cg16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I want to try it on one dive to feel what the experience is like without buying.

cg16:
I want to try it on one dive to feel what the experience is like without buying.
Find a shop that will teach you how to use one and try it. How can you tell someone what something feels like? It's different and I prefer them but others can't stand them.

Gary D.

It is a different experience. I really like them but depending on the mask you use you will require some additional training. You will also most likley use your air up more quickly with a full face mask. I really like them with a communication system.

Gary D.:
Find a shop that will teach you how to use one and try it. How can you tell someone what something feels like? It's different and I prefer them but others can't stand them.
I am one of those who doesn't care for them - not that I can't stand them though, I just prefer a traditional mask, because a FF mask makes me feel a bit claustrophobic (OK, that is probably irrational). Definitely find a shop that will let you try / rent one, and try out a communications system, as suggested.

how do u equilize?

The Ocean Technology Mantis Full Face Mask is a great mask to start with. Good value with alot of features.
Can be used with any regulator
Dual tempered anti-fog lenses for exceptional visibility
Totally eliminates jaw fatigue
Built in purge-simply exhale through your nose and all the water drains away through a one-way valve
Crystal silicone - The highest grade silicone available for a soft comfortable seal
Quick release straps for easy donning and doffing
Breathe comfortably and naturally through both your nose and mouth
Multi-strap adjustment and easy, nose access for equalization
2 accessory ports for an octo and/or communications device

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-124/027136/Ocean-Technology-Mantis-Full-Face-Mask.html

They are very nice but require a bit of training. I used an AGA mask with communicator and found it to be excellent in the visibility field (I have monocular vision) but it requires above average skill to off and don underwater plus clearing.

How much $$$ do you want to spend?

In the model I tried, Ocean reefmaster(?) you purge by pushing your nose into a block that covers your nostrils. I also found that the drill to take off the mask and switch to the alternate uses up a heck of a lot of air. Plus, you're going to need a backup half mask. No big deal.

Oh, yeah, I tried the ffm in a try-out course where I didn't have to buy. It was a good opportunity and answered my questions about that model. I remember finding it odd that my whole face was dry.

I almost barfed in my AGA...seems as though once I go below 40' I tend to get slightly queezy. And given the unusual route the exhaust air takes in the second (back into a tiny hole and back through the main diaphram) this is very troublesome. Unlike a normal second where chunks can simply flow out the bottom, I can see yak could definetly jam up or even halt the action of the air intake lever all together... it has now caused me to rethink my diving and I am moving back into pacifier regs during warmer months...AGA seems to curb freezing by routing exhaust air away from the seat but presents another problem. I wish they would move into a more simplified setup such as the apeks barrel. Anyone have experience with this?:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom