What's it going to cost me for a BP/W ballpark?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trexmdr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have read and read and learned so much here.
Just wondering what it's going to cost me ballpark.

I know I need a harness and like the hog.
I think I'll get a stainless steel plate.
Wing around 25# Single tank only. Recreational resort diving mostly.
Extra weights? I'm 5'10'' 180 and use a 3m shortie in warm and 5mm in cooler.
Pouches or weight belt? Would rather not have a belt.
No cold water for me.
Do I need a tank adapter?
What will a set up like this cost without going for the expensive name brands?
Thanks so much.
So looking forward to dumping the Jacket.
I was certified 30 years ago when I was in the military but now that my 15 year old kid is AOW I'm going to get back in.
He likes the jacket but he will learn.
Thanks again,
RT

Yes I saw that.
Back plate, harness and wing for $299
weights and ss plate for another $120
So about $420 and I'm done? I know there is tax and shipping but thats anywhere.
Am I missing anything?

That's a very good deal. If you spring the extra 20 for a s/s plate, you probably won't need to wear any weight in warm water. Then add a cheap belt for cold water dives. You can add weight pockets, but then the cost starts to rise and once you have achieved good trim you may find the belt is not an issue.

I think that deal also includes the cam bands.

You can add Dive Rite Clipper Pockets if you like. They're cheap, work well for carrying stuff with you or as weight pockets if you don't need much.

Deep Sea Supply -- full singles BP/W setup -- $461 (or maybe $462). Very good deal on a wonderful set up gear that will last for your a long time.

To answer your question -- ball park price, $460 for a FULL setup.

DGX package is a very good deal. Forget about that expansive quick release weight pocket. These pockets only work well if they are reasonable full, otherwise, weight will move around inside. With a backplate and in warm water, you are not likely to need 16lb. The 32lb version is ridiculously big. Instead, get couple of feet of webbing and a bucket for weight belt. You also want to get 2 XS scuba weight pocket for camband at $10 each.

AL or SS really depends on how much weight you need. If you are only a warm water diver, then AL plate is good.

I'm basically a Florida/Hawaii diver with the family but we live in Santa Monica so Malibu shore dives and trips to Catalina in the summer months are likely since my kid really likes diving. We don't do any cold water diving. Fall, winter and spring is for ice hockey. Another equipment and environment intensive sport.

Seeing as someone brought it up personally I'd go the DSS rig, sold as complete system ready to dive, top quality gear, good price and great customer service. DR also make nice gear at great prices and also offer great customer service but I think DSS gear is a little nicer.

Not to point out the obvious but if you need some help configuring your DSS rig, Tobin (and the company) are in Pasadena. You may even run into him diving somewhere locally.

Back
Top Bottom