What's in the upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking that the "Confused" icon & tooltip meant "I am confused". I started to realize that some Staff members were thinking it meant "You are confused". We changed it to "Confusing". The intent is that Confusing is interpreted as "Your post is not clear to me", but that doesn't fit well on a tooltip, especially on a smart-phone.
Again, how does this improve the experience for anyone? If you get a "confusing" on your post, what are you supposed to do with it? You can't clarify a post if you don't know where the problem lies. All it does is make the conscientious poster feel frustrated.

The net result of the negative reactions will be to encourage the jerks and discourage everyone else.

I dunno….I think @Akimbo is a skilled navigator so I’m going to get behind him and trust the bearing he‘s on.

If we end up off track with the buttons, the Staff and Moderators can turn them off and gracefully say “We tried.”

In the meantime, I suggest we stay locked on to @Akimbo ’s explanation in Post #115 and share freely with others if the surge starts bumping us into hard objects.

The net result of the negative reactions will be to encourage the jerks and discourage everyone else.
On further reflection, this is overly simplistic. There will be a large number of thicker-skinned people in the middle who won't be affected either way. I would guess that pretty much anyone who participates in the Pub will be in this group.

I suspect the problem is the mods largely fall into this group and thus can't comprehend the negative effect this will have on the rest of us. Let me ask this. What is the percentage of active members that don't subscribe to the Pub? Is whatever the perceived value of negative reactions worth the risk of alienating this group?

On further reflection, this is overly simplistic. There will be a large number of thicker-skinned people in the middle who won't be affected either way. I would guess that pretty much anyone who participates in the Pub will be in this group.

I suspect the problem is the mods largely fall into this group and thus can't comprehend the negative effect this will have on the rest of us. Let me ask this. What is the percentage of active members that don't subscribe to the Pub? Is whatever the perceived value of negative reactions worth the risk of alienating this group?

I would think the percentage is quite high. I for one have no interest in the Pub and I believe the majority of active members are similar. However, I'm open to being proved wrong.

Even Facebook doesn’t offer a thumbs down or “dislike.”
True. That is one of the problems with Facebook...this is no easy way to say the post is garbage.

True. That is one of the problems with Facebook...this is no easy way to say the post is garbage.
I use the angry face generally. Or laugh if it’s really stupid.

Active participants in the pub I would guess numbers between 20 and 30.

Just because you are opted in doesn't mean anything...

I think there is a responsibility to the forum population as a whole to make yourself clear. But on the flip side, Will everyone take the time to explain why they disagree, or like, or find something funny? No.

Say we are participating in a thread and you make a post that I disagree with, and someone much more elequent than I comes along and posts a rebuttal, I have nothing add but I disagree. That's it, I disagree with you and clicked thanks to the other poster.

Or I post something outlandish like steak is best well done, that needs no rebuttal to you because any sane person knows that's not right, you click disagree and off you go.

I use the angry face generally. Or laugh if it’s really stupid.
The GF uses the laughing face whenever anyone tries to troll her when she's commenting on news articles...it tends to send the basement dwellers into a rage...

The GF uses the laughing face whenever anyone tries to troll her when she's commenting on news articles...it tends to send the basement dwellers into a rage...
That’s generally why I use the laughing face.

Back
Top Bottom