What's going on in this picture?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On our last dive at Cypress Springs we were greeted in the cavern by what I've nicknamed "torpedo carp" because they had a crazy tendancy to bang into us or our gear at full speed. I got this picture of one while wedged in the mouth of the cavern where the water flow is very strong. The fish is in focus (look at the eye) but there are these blurred blueish streaks in the pic. Some seem to bend around the fish's head. I'm not sure if they might not be bubbles going by or some weird light reflection from outside the cavern. I shot this with internal flash, iso 64, f 2.3, 1/6 sec. What's your guess as to what I did?

26242carp1.jpg

Diver0001:
Had this film been x-rayed?

R..

I doubt it....he's using a digital! :D See his sig line.

That's an awfully slow exposure time. But seems the fish would be out of focus, too.

I certainly cant help you out, but wanted to say.... awesome shot even with the marks

Diver0001:
Had this film been x-rayed?

R..
I'm open to all possibilities - maybe gamma rays from outer space hit the sensor? :D

If the flash was inside the housing then it could be a reflection from the flash on the housing.

Looks like motion blur to me, noticeable on the bottom right and top left especially. Probably where there was some natural light highlights.
Are we reading right that this is 1/6 shutter or is it supposed to be 1/60?
If 1/6 then you did a superb job keeping steady.

There is also some blur noticeable on the bottom of the fish. The reason the blur is only on the edges of the fish is due to the fact you are using a strobe. Strobe light will freeze motion but always leaves a little blur around the edges of the subject.

Mike Veitch:
...Are we reading right that this is 1/6 shutter or is it supposed to be 1/60?...
Yup, 1/6 not 1/60. I was coming out of the cavern (dark in there) after experimenting with flash and settings. The fish gave me the chance to squeeze this one off before changing the settings. I do get a lot of blurry pics this way.

I thought it might be the motion after the flash but I was thinking it would show all over the fish too. The light was steaming through the cavern opening so the blue might be light patches blurring. I can't figure out the curved looking ones by his nose though.

SeaYoda:
Yup, 1/6 not 1/60. I was coming out of the cavern (dark in there) after experimenting with flash and settings. The fish gave me the chance to squeeze this one off before changing the settings. I do get a lot of blurry pics this way.

I thought it might be the motion after the flash but I was thinking it would show all over the fish too. The light was steaming through the cavern opening so the blue might be light patches blurring. I can't figure out the curved looking ones by his nose though.

Do I see trees in the upper left of the pic, and waves in the lower left corner? could it be some sort of reflection of the surface into the turbulence of the flow?

paulwall:
Do I see trees in the upper left of the pic, and waves in the lower left corner? could it be some sort of reflection of the surface into the turbulence of the flow?

Probably not... We were in a cavern, maybe 40-50' underneath an overhead environment. You couldn't see much of the surface unless you hugged the cavern floor and looked up and out(even then, you couldn't see much of the surface).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom