What's a good camera for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cranstonjdc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im looking for a basic camera. What are some good brands? I prefer it not to be over 400 or so. Any recomendations and examples of pics taken with the camera would be great. I have a little nikon l18 and was thinking about a casing for that. Is it better to get a casing and camera or just a waterproof camera?

Hi!

Have a little look through this forum for ideas on what cameras are out there and are getting good recommendations as this is a question that is asked several times a week so the info you will find in moderately recent threads should be pretty up to date.

Also check out the Sticky at the top of this forum - or you can follow the Pink Link in my signature - for ideas on models, brands and things to look for.

For $400 you can score a nice Canon A series with Canon housing, for instance. You will also be able to consider a couple of options from Fuji and Nikon as well as others.

I would say get the camera and a housing, myself.

I have the new Olympus FE3010 and PT-46 housing for $279.95. It is a 12MP camera with several uw modes and is easy to use and carry. It's a lot of camera for the money.

I would be careful not to get into too large or complicated a system until you have more dives under your belt.

Jack

I agree with Jack, use small camera first and don't spend too much money on a huge setup. I bought an underwater photography book when I started taking UW pictures and the first sentence in the book says: "To be a good underwater photographer you have to be a good diver first". Cannot agree more.
I took my first UW pictures with Sony T1 (I bought the casing for it) and they were great. I don't think they sell thse cameras anymore, I checked the links Jack posted and looks good

Im looking for a basic camera. What are some good brands? I prefer it not to be over 400 or so. Any recomendations and examples of pics taken with the camera would be great. I have a little nikon l18 and was thinking about a casing for that. Is it better to get a casing and camera or just a waterproof camera?

The best kind of camera for a new diver is the kind that a more experienced dive buddy can operate. :)
Seriously, a new diver should really be focusing on developing good diving habits. Until you dial in your buoyancy, trim, non-silting kicks, and dive planning you really won't be getting that much out of an UW camera system. Furthermore, I could argue that the extra task-loading of operating an UW camera will make you pay less attention to your environment...including your buddy.
Take things slowly. Enjoy the UW world for now. When you get more comfortable in the water, then think about getting a camera system. Heck, I'm sure the equipment will be cheaper and better down the road anyway. :)
If you must purchase something now, I can recommend the Canon A-series with manual features. They are a wonderful value. Be careful, though. I believe that the latest Canon "A" cameras lack full manual settings.

Have fun and dive safe.

The best kind of camera for a new diver is the kind that a more experienced dive buddy can operate. :)
Seriously, a new diver should really be focusing on developing good diving habits. Until you dial in your buoyancy, trim, non-silting kicks, and dive planning you really won't be getting that much out of an UW camera system. Furthermore, I could argue that the extra task-loading of operating an UW camera will make you pay less attention to your environment...including your buddy.

Couldn't agree more. In fact, I'd say that you should be required to pass a "Peak Performance Buoyancy" course or similar before you are allowed to take a camera on a dive.

Here's my recent rant on the topic:

Am I being unreasonable if I believe...

get the intova ic10 instead
its 10 megapix a great camera and the casing will do 180ft.
its around 200 dollars in amazon
id say the best bang for buck!!!

but i agree with bubbletrouble
get some more dives under your belt and learn to control your bouyancy, or you may get frustrated with your pictures and diving in general

72.gif

Even though you don't want to hear it I must repeat the previous posts here.

You should not get a camera of any kind as a new diver. Buoyancy and other skills should be managed first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom