What you should not do when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Blue One:
The question really is to the instructors / dive leaders and on the highlight from Rick about the second issue in this thread - how many actually will stop a student mid-instruction, refund their money and suggest that it would be unsafe for them to continue instructing the student should they continue with their lack of appreciation for the seriousness to themselves (and more importantly future dive partners) of their actions !!!

do you continue to instruct someone who "willfully disregards instructions"

maybe this question should go to the professionals forum ?
I have not certified people before - normally before the OW portion, but not always. I normally *did not* refund their money. They were paying for instruction, not a guaranteed passing grade... Luckily, I never had anyone who "willfully disregarded instructions" - at least not if I asked them nicely...

Rick Murchison:
Fatal?
Typo, right?
Rick
Well, I ment fatal as it ended badly - in the hyperbaric chamber. I didn't mean death - sorry, that's my language mistake. I forgot that in English word "fatal" has also this meaning...
Mania

Hi Mania,

"fatal" Hmm...

Perhaps "fateful" (meaning #1)?

(Definitions below found poking around google)

Fateful:
1: having momentous consequences; of decisive importance
2: of ominous significance
3: controlled or decreed by fate; predetermined

I have a good friend and dive budy from Poland. He has a bit of trouble with english vocabulary at times. He spoke only polish when he came to the U.S. and taught himself english while starting his own company. He's done very well at both.

mania, don't worry about it. you are doing great! you speak english ten times better than most of us will ever speak a second language.

your use of "fatal" really threw me off too; i was wondering what i had missed lol. glad all is more or less well. good one.

Thanks H2Andy.
I know English since childhood but I also speak couple of other languages and sometimes it may be confusing. Especially that on everyday basis I use at least three languages. In Polish as well as Italian "fatal" means simply "horrible". And I do know that in English the meaning is... much stronger and in a way final. But I wrote this before I thought about it.
Anyway the student is OK, was released form the hospital and...which is the most interesting, doesn't understand why all this happened.
Mania

mania:
I know English since childhood but I also speak couple of other languages and sometimes it may be confusing.
Sorry... I didn't intend to criticize your language skills at all, but rather to clarify that no one had died in the incident.
As for language skills, I have nearly none... I greatly admire all of you who can communicate in more than one.
Rick

Big Blue One:
Rick's mod of my message is fine and accepted for the emotive language.

The question really is to the instructors / dive leaders and on the highlight from Rick about the second issue in this thread - how many actually will stop a student mid-instruction, refund their money and suggest that it would be unsafe for them to continue instructing the student should they continue with their lack of appreciation for the seriousness to themselves (and more importantly future dive partners) of their actions !!!

do you continue to instruct someone who "willfully disregards instructions"

maybe this question should go to the professionals forum ?
I have and will continue to, with the blessing of my shop owner. Never because of not doing what I say it was a case of not being able to do what I say. Things such as ear clearing, swimming ability, comfort in the water. I've only had a couple of "hot dogs" and after our after class discussions they understood and looked at things in a whole different way.

I just glad this situation turned out ok. Sounds like the instructor could be a bit more assertive with his class.

Mania, in German "fatal" is also used in a, well, less final, sense, simply meaning pretty bad.

When a person speaks 3 language, they're tri-lingual
When a person speaks 2 languages, they're bi-lingual
When a person speaks 1 language, they're American :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom