What would you want from a Diving B&B??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In first reading your question, I thought "good air conditioning", which can make or break a tropical trip for me. As you are thinking somewhere cool, may I suggest in addition to your sauna a hot tub? Secondly, good lighting in the room, or at least a well lit desk or workspace would be nice. When checking O-rings the night before a dive, I really appreciate someplace to work. And sadly, as I sometimes bring work even on vacation, it's nice to have a space to plant a laptop and get a few things done. Which brings me to point number three: a reliable internet connection, preferably high speed, wireless is even better. Lastly, a comfy hammock. Good luck with the business venture.

Slingshot

The big issue in my book is getting me/gear from the bed to the water (and back). Limit your real transit time to ten minutes (at most) from bed to water. Develop a list of shops within that "time radius" who will work with you. Not on the list, out of luck on transfers.

One thing I would look into is building a trailer for the gear. First, it will keep the wet gear away from your vehicle. Second, nice to have a secure customized bin sized for one person's gear (tilt the floor's forward edge up a bit and drill holes for drainage). I would think a long time about servicing tanks on site.

Second thing I would think about is installing another "shower rod" in the tub/shower. Make it around 2m high with permanently attached gear hangers (think of your standard UK gear hangers with a screw preventing their removal from the shower rod).

The third thing to look into is a quick and cheap pocket food for breakfast and lunch. In Texas, that means breakfast tacos. A tortilla wrapped around scrambled eggs with what other chopped extras you want. The tortilla, egg, foil runs about $0.15USD. Sells for $1-2USD, not a bad markup. Just an example, look around the world and find others with locally available ingredients. The more exotic and tastier the better.

Edit, "real transit time" should be read as, gear/people on board to destination ready for unloading

When I am diving, I don't eat all meals in restaurants. First because of convenience of location, second because I want something light if I'm tired. This means that I want a good working fridge in the room, with a freezer section to freeze something (ice or blue thingies) to put in my lunch bag to keep it cool. I bring a collapsable soft little cooler with me on trips, that weights almost nothing when empty, that I use to bring my lunch or snacks along. The freezer part of the fridge isn't important if you are prepared to supply ice, but many little hotel ice machines run out of ice if people start to fill coolers with it.

btw, my comments above describing the Dive B&B in Curacao were not because I thought thats what you wanted to do. It was more because its what you don't want to do. I was describing an operation, also mom and pop, also billing itself as B&B, that would be your potential theoretical competition. Before you purchase, I would look at all existing operations in the area, to see what the competition is. Find a virgin location in which you would be really special, and not compared to another B&B that offers what you do and more.

I agree with internet access. It's one of the things I ask for, everywhere we go, and success in getting it is definitely sporadic. When we don't have reliable internet access, I have to deal with a very grumpy husband . . .

GOOD VALUE. People have made lots of good suggestions, but I would not want to end up paying as much in total (that is, to you and to your dive shop partner) as I would at a true full-service dive resort. I think you have to choose a price point and target customer type. Are you going to cater to couples looking for pampering? Or are you going to cater to economical divers who would just like to avoid some of the hassles normally associated with staying in an economical motel/hotel? My wife and I stay in motels in the FL Keys, and while the motels do get a fair number of divers and often provide a place in the back to rinse and store gear, there are still a few things they could do to make our diving day easier, like hand us a quick breakfast sandwich and a bagged lunch in the morning, and put more emphasis on the gear rinse/storage. But if the place were to offer so many amenities that they had to charge significantly more, we would probably opt to stay somewhere more economical. On one hand, in places like the FL Keys we're not looking for pampering--we just want a few days of economical diving. On the other hand, we also dive at luxury dive resorts on occasion, and we don't mind paying the price for that high level of convenience and service. So it seems to me that the most difficult part will be finding your niche.

One place that will always stay in my mind is The Deco Stop in Santo, Vanuatu. Without a doubt the most dive sympathetic place I have stayed to date. And gorgeous.
The Only Place to Stay in Luganville - Review of Deco Stop Lodge, Luganville, Vanuatu - TripAdvisor

The lodge was run by people who may no longer be active divers, but understand divers, and cater to them

a) The food was great, good value, and changed constantly. Not the same old same old every night, so you always looked forward to each nights specials. This is important as not only were most peoply happy to stay most night, but many of the local dive celebs happy to come and get shouted a meal in order to talk diving all night. Very smart.
b) they were happy to make lunch packs for you that you could order and take out in the morning if you wanted to stay out all day.
c) Breakfast was aimed at just the right time to eat, clean up, and be ready to be picked up for the days dives. This just made each morning so easy.
d) Every local dive opp considered them friendly, and would happily come pick you up from the resort
e) there were very large equipment wash areas to clean your gear, and they had crates you could use to cart your gear back and forth. Plus plenty of clothes hangers to dry your stuff on each night
f) The pool area was just a great place to hang out post dives and inbetween diving - you could easily dive in the morning, return for lunch, and then go diving again in the afternoon
g) Because they target themselves for divers, there were no random parties turning up making noise all night
h) they understand diving
i) they had a number of essential diving bits and pieces for sale
j) Cheap. Oh so cheap, and friendly as

When we left the Deco Stop, we needed to catch a connecting boat to another island, and due to a mix-up we missed it. No worries, as soon as Ben heard he drove us to the dock, launched his boat, and took us there himself. He must have burnt through a bunch of fuel, but would take no other payment than a beer. Now that's service!

I honestly can't think of a more diver friendly experience. If you want an excuse, go and check them out for "research" but hopefully what i've said above might give you some ideas. If you're a diver though, you will probably provide what divers want without even thinking about it.

I answered this over on YD, but I figure it can't hurt to answer it over here as well.
I just need/want somewhere with a decently comfy bed, decent food, hot shower, and wifi for a decent price (not the cheapest, but a fair price). Obviously the place needs to be clean. A locked drying room would be a plus so my drysuit doesn't need to stay in my room. I'd be happy with a twin room with bunks as my other half won't be coming away for a weekend of diving with me.
It's funny reading the responses on this site versus the responses over on YD. Complete opposite ends of the spectrum with what people expect/want/need/wish for.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, a digital safe that can hold a laptop and some small items. If it has a managerial override, make sure only trusted staff have the ability to use it. I don't like to have to think about where I am going to put my passport, cash, laptop, etc.

One of my main goals when I travel is to seek the most affordable option that is at the same time the least "mainstream". In other words, I always look for B&B's or independent hotels or inns with charm and character before I look for chain hotels. Often, these options are not within the budget, so I will stay at a chain hotel if that's the only affordable option, but I would always rather patronize a non-chain establishment. I also have a huge pet peeve with lodging organizations that don't post rates online or have options for making reservations online. If I have to pick up phone to get something taken care of, I'll probably go elsewhere. Research shows many of us Generation X-ers have similar expectations of websites!

I'll take more than your average number of electrical outlets per room that are actually accessible, i.e., not behind the television or the dressers. There's never enough especially if you and your buddy are both photographers. Another idea would be a secure area to store dive bags - eliminating the need to take them to a room - aside from a gear locker (which is always great).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom