What would you do??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if there is any current then the boat should not be tied into the wreck

Which way to go? I would say that is pretty obvious, follow the current. If there is a chase boat on board, I could understand the argument of telling the captain/crew so someone could pursue. Divers have gotten blown off a wreck, and noone noticed, and if the current is that ripping, you can disappear fast.

Someone correct me if I'm flawed in my thinkin (and I know you will), but if there is a chase boat available, the smartest thing to do is notify the crew quickly so they can make a quick pickup. Otherwise you have to wait until all the divers are onboard and search for the diver, or call the Coast Guard to bring a chopper in for a search.

If there's no chase boat, then I agree, ride it out with your bud.

Stay with your "wingman", if the currents ripping you may both hurry to the surface if you stay. Another set of eyes in a bad situation often provides sanity, I'd worry about the ride home when I got up safetly. Actually this post has got me thinking of an epirb for those days as I often dive in ripping currents.

anyone know of any epirbs rated to 250' or so?

thanks in advance

Like I said before, gps, vhf, both waterproof. EPIRB is also a good idea. Pop em in a tube that will withstand the pressure, none are rated that deep.

When I windsurf I carry a VHF that is the size of a large cell phone. I tried it the other day from my boat and got a radio check from someone pretty far away, loud and clear.

If you get blown off, you need the GPS so you can tell them where you are!

EPIRBS take a long time until someone gets to you, and the search area is pretty large for a diver. However, if there is room in the tube, and no one comes back on the vhf...

I would carry the tube like a stage, or possibly like a second light canister.

I would stay with my buddy. The only way I could justify not doing so would be if the intent was to ascend, tell the crew, then go back down and deco. Not my preferred option, that's for sure, I'd rather follow my buddy.

BTW, I don't think an emergency kit makes jon lines safe...just safer.

Many of these cases result in the finding of a dead diver or not finding them at all. You can read books such as Deep Descent, The last Dive etc to find some examples. I like Braunbehrens comment about going up telling the crew and returning for your deco. I of course believe in not "leaving your wing man" but I think you are more good to him by letting the support team know than assuming they will see a marker. This way, they can immediately track, follow or be on the lookout. The risks of not doing this are just too great. To quote one great diver "DCS is survivable, drowning is not"

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
Many of these cases result in the finding of a dead diver or not finding them at all. You can read books such as Deep Descent, The last Dive etc to find some examples To quote one great diver "DCS is survivable, drowning is not"

I am not Trimix certified but I do know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you have a better chance of surviving skipping stops on air than you do on mix based strictly on the density of the gas. That is simple physics. This is well over 150' so I would say that it is safe to assume this person would be diving mix. The main theme here is that theres a strong current so if you blew off the line you are only going one direction. The surface support team is there to watch for bags and for divers surfacing other than on the line. To make a long story short, piss on skipping stops and getting bent so bad a chamber ride isn't going to help. IMHO its riskier to ascend and chance a hit like that, than it is to just cut away. I am off the line and drifting with my buddy. Besides, you can't cuss him in sign language if he is by himself.

James
:getsome:

VaJames once bubbled...

I am not Trimix certified but I do know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you have a better chance of surviving skipping stops on air than you do on mix based strictly on the density of the gas. That is simple physics. This is well over 150' so I would say that it is safe to assume this person would be diving mix. The main theme here is that theres a strong current so if you blew off the line you are only going one direction. The surface support team is there to watch for bags and for divers surfacing other than on the line. To make a long story short, piss on skipping stops and getting bent so bad a chamber ride isn't going to help. IMHO its riskier to ascend and chance a hit like that, than it is to just cut away. I am off the line and drifting with my buddy. Besides, you can't cuss him in sign language if he is by himself.

James
:getsome:

I disagree that mix is a harder gas to deco from, which is basically what you are saying. While it is true that it is a "faster" gas, the body tolerates it much better. We don't understand everything that goes on during deco yet, but one thing is for sure, Helium is your friend.

I also think that if you go up and tell them to watch for your buddy's bag and then go back down you will probably be fine, as long as you don't spend more than a minute or so on the surface. That should be plenty of time. Maybe do a little more deco and hang out a few minutes at the deepest part to let the blood go all the way around once (5 mn or so).

Of course, these are just my opinions, I could be wrong.

Also, I still think it's better to stick with your buddy. I just wanted to clarify some of the mechanics of deco.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom