What would you do with steel 72's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow, there's your answer! You could get 2(!) new uses for each tank. the top would become a bell, the bottom a bowl! who could ask for anything more?:eek:ut:

Mike

Are 72's Low Pressure? If so one would definately make a great O2 deco bottle for cave diving.

I like the argon idea too!!

DSAO!

I use mine for staging bottles...

Originally posted by WYDT
Are 72's Low Pressure? If so one would definately make a great O2 deco bottle for cave diving.

I like the argon idea too!!

They are 'very' low pressure, like 2200. I've got one that is rated at 1800 and is in use as an o2 bottle. Painted it John Deere Green.

DSAO!

Dave,

Sounds to me like you got a good set of doubles, and some good stage bottles, and possibly some Argon bottles.

Getting rid of gear is imposible. The pile of stuff only grows.
That is the joy of diving, having a great big ol' pile of gear.

Larry

Dave-

You do not ever want to use these for stage bottles (they are too heavy) and will overtax your buoyancy system (especially if you lose the drysuit or the wing during your dive). And there really is no real advantages to using them for this purpose. You can however use them for Cave only oxygen bottles (this has merit and is different than stages due to the fact that you will drop these fairly close to entrance and they remain negative when low (hence the use for oxygen bottle). Its not unusual to do a dive to the back of Devils system 100-110 min bt and do 20 min on oxygen bottle you got in the water with reading ~900 psi (using only 400 psi for the deco and getting out with 500).

Doubles- questionable....for fun around texas lakes i guess they would be ok, but they have no place in a cave or technical environ (especially due to the potential for rupture when overfilled of these tanks...the window at the fill station at Ginnie Springs was created by one of these that had not even reached rated pressure yet). Not much scares me about gear...but using these things anywhere near a filled or overfilled situation gives me the creeps.

Argon? For intermediate storage? Confusing. I would say not due to potential for an accident like happened to a Cave Diver from texas who died in JB by 'grabbing' a tank without oxygen content. Also Argon is exetremely narcotic......you'd be so buzzed at 15ft you couldn't function on pure argon.

Originally posted by daylight

Sounds to me like you got a good set of doubles, and some good stage bottles, and possibly some Argon bottles.

Larry

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom