what would you choose??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
need a nice, "plush" place....aside from the presidente...

need to be close to downtown....

and also free (GOOD) shore diving with the package...

can you please help me decide?? it's down to the wire...

choices are:

hotel cozumel........fiesta americana......scuba club cozumel....

or is the presidente 'da BOMB???

thanks!

-dan

deputydan1:

choices are:

thanks!

-dan

For the money my vote is Hotel Cozumel cause it's closer to town. If you have non divers with you they have tennis courts, pool tables, & ping pong plus a large pool and hot tub. They also have a list of daily non diving activites. Shore diving is average. they have set up some type of small structures for artifical reefs to attract fish. Or you can dive along the ironshore and look in all the cracks and crevices.

If money is of no concern by all means stay at the Presidente.

I would go for Fiesta Americana. Not but 1/2 south of Presidente and much nicer rooms than Hotel Cozumel. Go for a Casita Suite in the back. Very nice. We used to rent condos but have changed to FA b/c it's much more convenient to walk across the street to the pier rather than hailing a taxi and getting up much earlier. You also have shorter boat rides to the southern dive sites which is where we prefer to dive. Have a great time.

deputydan1:
is there free shore diving at the fiesta americana??

tia,
-dan

I was in Coz last month and stayed at the FA. The onsite dive shop, Dive House, will provide free tanks for shore diving if you have a multi-day dive package with them. They'll probably rent you tanks as well if you want to go that route. The shore diving isn't all that exciting out in front of the FA, some small morays and rays can be found there if you look hard enough.

Mel

thanks for info, mel...

does anyone know how the free shore diving is at the presidente??? i heard it's pretty ok, as well as hotel cozumel..

sorry for all the preguntas!!! =)

-dan

deputydan1:

choices are:

You know how they tell you "you can't have everything"? Sometimes they are right.

Hotel Cozumel and SCC are definitely not plush, at least compared to the Presidente. Neither the Presidente or FA are close to downtown, and the FA is farther away than the Presidente and not as plush. The Casa Mexicana is definitely plush, very close to downtown, but there is no shore diving there at all.

You gotta decide what's more important to you. If it makes any diff, the shore diving is not what I would call GOOD (in capital letters) anywhere on the island. It's very small potatoes compared to even the least good boat dive.

It seems to me that on a short visit, shore diving should not be very important, anyway; it's what you do in the leisure hours, and when you're just going for a long weekend, you won't have any.

So if you're looking for plush and close to town, and shore diving is not that important, IMO you should take a look at Casa Mexicana.

hey gordon,
really, really good points. i didn't even think about casa mexicana.....but the thing is, my wife really likes to be on the water...she really wants a nice place...

i think the pres still looks promising...i just hope they have good shore diving...since this is what i'll be doing in my spare time..

thanks!

-dan

It's north of town, so, unless you use the onsite diveshop, Pepe Scuba (who, BTW, have gotten pretty positive reviews), you'll have to taxi south to meet your dive boat. Taxi fare is about $3.50 US to the town center, I believe. I have not stayed there, although I did check out the property a couple of years ago and thought it was VERY nice. It has decent restaurant facilities on site if you want to vege out instead of trucking into town for dinner. My friend, Paul Osmond (marriard), stayed there last Thanksgiving when we were diving together with DocVikingo and the gang, and he thought it was gangbusters. He also raved over the shore diving.

<')///><

deputydan1:

choices are:

Of the 8 trips I have made to Coz over the years, the old galapagos inn, now known as the Scuba Club Cozumel, has been the best. And they have free shore diving. And close to town. I have also stayed at the El Presidente, The Barracuda, and La Ceiba

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom