What Wetsuit for Cancun in Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WellBelowH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
I've searched but haven't seen a thread for any recommendations for a wetsuit in Cancun in February. I'll be down for my OW certification Feb 25 & 26th and planned on bringing a 3mil shorty. 2 dives the first day, 2 the second. I have a fair tolerance for the cold and had hoped to avoid buying a 3 mil full (since my next purchase is going to be a 7mil full). Anyone think I need more than the shorty?

Thanks...

--Ryan

The water temp should be in the mid to upper 70's. For the short dives of an OW cert class, the 3mm shorty should be fine. Less wetsuit also makes buoyancy control a bit easier.

You mention your next purchase is a 7mm full. OW cert down in Cancun won't really prepare you for NJ diving. You might consider some additional training or refresher before you hop into the colder, lower viz waters up there.

Charlie99:
The water temp should be in the mid to upper 70's. For the short dives of an OW cert class, the 3mm shorty should be fine. Less wetsuit also makes buoyancy control a bit easier.

You mention your next purchase is a 7mm full. OW cert down in Cancun won't really prepare you for NJ diving. You might consider some additional training or refresher before you hop into the colder, lower viz waters up there.

Absolutely. I have already made plans with my LDS to go with people in my current class when they do their dives up here for certification to gain familiarity in the colder, lower visibility environment. Additionally, I'll start my advanced class in March and all of those dives will take place up here under their supervision, of course, so that should reinforce things.

Oh.. and thanks for the info on the wetsuit.

Just got back from Cancun (Feb 12 - 19), used a 3 mil full, but a 3 mil shorty s/b ok. Brought mine, didn't try it. Anyway a full suit not only keeps you warm, it adds protection from things like jellyfish, and they are there. If you do the Cenotes, a 3 mil full might be a little more comfortable, as the Cenotes are a few degrees cooler than the ocean. It all depends on your own comfort level.
David

I wear a .5 mil for warm water, and this time of year you might get a chill on your second or third dive in Cancun. The .5 mil will make getting your 7 mil on a lot easier when in colder waters.

I was one of the people on Cat´s dive above. Doing the C-56, we hit a max depth of 91 feet and my watch showed a water temp of 78! My brother and I were amazed at the fact we hit no thermocline and did not get chilly at all at that depth without any protection. I did a total of 4 dives over the last few days and didnñt wear a suit for any of them. A 3mm shorty would have been fine, but it was definately not necessary.

Don

Back
Top Bottom