what wet suit for diving in Nov.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Muddman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know this is the hottest part of the year but I am making plans for my yearly vacation. I want to know what wet suit I need for diving the lakes in North Texas when I come home in November. I will be coming home for a month and would like to hook up with some swampers while I'm home and make a few dives. I finally aquired all my dive gear and have been enjoying diving here in Kuwait, but I know the lakes will be a lot colder. I was thinking of a 5mm full and a 3mm vest w/ hood. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A full 5mil/hood/gloves will get you by ok....after being in Kuwait some cool water will probably be welcome!

You should be fine in the 5mm/3mm vest combo you're thinking about. Definitely wear a hood, and I would recommend getting some gloves as well. Don't have to be very thick, but that little extra bit of protection for your hands will be very welcome when you're trying to pinch your nose to clear your ears! They'll also make it easier to take off your fins, suit, dismantle all your gear, etc. afterward, trying to do that with numb hands is not fun.

Muddman:
... what wet suit I need for diving the lakes in North Texas when I come home in November.
I dove all winter with a 6.5 mm farmer john, hood & reef gloves. That was down to about 55 df in the Travis and Canyon. I plan to do the same this winter.

Willie

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I will bring my scuba stuff home and try it out in the local lakes. If I need a thicker wet suit I will just have to visit Scuba Toys.

Thanks,

Granted we normally do get at least one major cold front by November and the summer cooking is over, but it wouldn't be a first if we don't.

Ok, so maybe I'm being pessimistic that this summer will never end and I will never see rain again... but it could happen...

I use a 7mm, hood and 5mm gloves in NE Texas in November, and usually only dive the Comal & (now) Aquarena until March, when I again don my 7mm. This summer I have been wearing only a 2mm shorty in Clear Springs (Terrell). If you're a little cool normally, you might be happier with 7mm than 5. Glad to have you home!

Foo,

You better get that 100th dive in before it gets cold. A nekkid dive in December would be a little chilly!

Missed you this past Saturday. Hope you got that grandbaby raised properly.

Back
Top Bottom