What went wrong on your dive today/recently? And what did you learn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question, what light did you lose and how did you wear it/attach it?

Came here to lick my wounds and it seems I'm not the only one... I dropped my primary light yesterday on my last deco stop. I don't really know how it happened, it was cold, I reached for the anchor line and I saw it going to the bottom. Dive was over an hour in 45F water. If anyone wants to look for a $500 light 9 miles off Manhattan in the mud hole, PM me and I'll tell you where its at.
When I was doing my intro to tech training, at the end of the dive, in about 10' of water in MX, I dropped a Big Blue into a crevasse. I tried to get it, but I quickly noped out of being stuck upside down in a tiny hole.

My much skinnier instructor got to it, but it was close to being unrecoverable.

Lesson learned? I'm a big fan of can lights these days :)

Bummer. I have my primary on a hard goodman handle. From the goodman handle, I run a loop of bungee around my wrist. Then the bolt snap on the light attaches to the bungee on my wrist. Should the light part ways from the goodman, it'll still be attached to me. I got that tip from @tbone1004.

Bummer. I have my primary on a hard goodman handle. From the goodman handle, I run a loop of bungee around my wrist. Then the bolt snap on the light attaches to the bungee on my wrist. Should the light part ways from the goodman, it'll still be attached to me. I got that tip from @tbone1004.
I have thought about using a bolt snap to the bungee on my compass but opted against it as it. What do you do when you have to switch to temporary hold to dump air or read your spg?

@JoeTPhilly, a couple of things. I can reach across and dump air with my right hand if necessary. In the event that I do need the light off my hand, however, the whole goodman handle and bungee will slide off my hand/wrist. I then just use the light's boltsnap to clip it off.

First ever night dive with mantas, it's a bit more involved logistically as there are a lot of divers in the water and they add 2lbs of weight to everyone to keep them down. They get all divers to kneel in the sand during the experience, and it's pretty tight quarters. When I went to descend to the sand I accidentally triggered my BCD inflate rather than deflate button, but luckily immediately realized and dumped air before I began to ascend in an uncontrolled fashion. Moral of the story is that you need to be able to block out all distractions and take your time even when doing a bunch of new stuff or diving with different weight profile.

Saw a dude blow from 70ft with no warning. Luckily he seemed to be ok. I guess moral of the story is be ready to dump air/disconnect your hose ASAP at all times. No idea what caused his failure - he added a bunch of the weight for the second dive (!!!). I didn't really feel like I could tell him not to dive, but can't imagine that was great for his body.

the second dive (!!!). I didn't really feel like I could tell him not to dive, but can't imagine that was great for his body.
Well, not sure if he would know it, but: in-water recompression (IWR)? Is a thing:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom