What weight wetsuit for Ginnie Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gene1948

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I am a new diver and hoping to make my first trip to Crystal River / Ginnie Springs, etc. in February. How cold should I expect?? Will I be OK in my trusty 3MM, or do you think I will need more to be comfortable? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Gene

waters 72 ish and I did my dives in a full 3mm suit, locals froze and used beanies-hoods gloves and still looked cold, I was fine.
Brad

I have used a 3mm before and been fine. But I have also been acused of being a polar bear!:D

Russ

As moneysavr mentioned, the waters are always in the 72F area year round. Personally, that's drysuit territory for Pearce & I. Most people dive it in 5-7mm; rarely do I see 3mm on anyone who isn't shivering and has blue lips. :wink:

I am going for my first visit next week (yee), and have been debating the same issue. The options for me are 7mm or 3mm jumpsuit with 4mm shorty. Noway was I considering 3mm alone. I was not so much worried about the water (sounds so nice and warm) but since air temp isn't particularly warm this time of the year , I do not want to get out of the water borderline chilled, and continue to feel uncomfy as I need to start stripping.

I had already decided on the 7mm but I see forecast is improved from fifties to seventies for next week! Now I am back to pondering which one to take. The combo would probably be fine if my 3mm wasn't a bit loose on me. This is a trip for me (multiple dives), so I do not wish to get cold on the first day, and have to bail out from rest of the dives.

P.S. Anyone know how long it takes to drive from Ginnie to Manatee Springs?

How long are you going to be in the water?

For short dives, in the summer you MIGHT be ok in a 3mm. But with the air temps now days or any longer dives and you will freeze. Especially if you want to dive in the tanic river (and you will). It would be in the low 60's now.

Me, I'll be in a drysuit, 200gm thinsulate, 200g thinsulate vest and a 7mm hood.

I have done multiple hour long or longer dives in Ginnie wearing a 7+mm wetsuit with a hood and no gloves. In the water this suit has been fine, I was a little cool but not cold. The surface however is an entirely different matter. This time of year the air can be quite cool and if you are wet you can chill during your surface interval.

For recreational dives in the basin and main spring the 3mm suit will probably be fine, if your dives are longer than normal recreational dives then the 7mm suit would be a better choice. If you are usually colder than your buddies then go for the thicker suit for recreational dives.

What ever you end up using as a suit, make sure that you have a way to stay warm and dry on your surface interval. There are lots of picnic benches around to put your gear on and you might even be able to hang up your wet suit between dives.

Mark Vlahos

My daughter and I just dove Devil's Den, Blue Grotto, and snorkeled with the Manatees in the Crystal River this past weekend. Ait temp was in the 50s during the day and 30s when we were with the manatees. We were both in a 3mm suit and was fine in the water. Got a little cool when we got out.

I've never been even remotely cold in the water in my 3mm. Getting out of the water is another story--I was extremely cold after diving Paradise Springs two weeks ago and Alexander Springs (a total waste of time) last week, but you just have to get out of your suit ASAP.

I'd go with at least a 5mm full and a hood. I wear a 7/5 with a hood, but I'm a native Floridian.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom