What was some of your most memorable dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan , that hammerhead footage has me (frog) green with envy! I’ve never Ben able to get closer than 25-30 feet, and not from lack of trying! Good job.
🐸

Thanks for the compliment!

The tricks I learned from the guides, when they put you in the hammerhead cleaning station, are:
1. Position yourself in shady place.
2. Use no video lights.
3. Hold your breath when they are coming to you.
3. Don’t make any movement.

That sounds like the technique I sort of “stumbled over” at Nassau in June. We had Caribbean Reef Sharks circling us in a curious but non-threatening manner, so I just knelt down in the sand and let this guy come to me. I was shooting still shots, and these were consecutive as he came up to see what I was up to.
🐸

Attachments

• MICR0291.jpeg
    MICR0291.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 31
  • MICR0292.jpeg
    MICR0292.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: Dan
On my first dive trip to Saba many years ago a turtle swam between my legs as if I stopped to watch it wander about. I was a bit giddy with excitement to realize that I was utterly insignificant in the ocean.

Many years ago we were diving in Borneo at twilight. When we got to see the mandarin fish come out of the coral in pairs and do some sort of mating ritual. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen, and even now almost 15 years later I can still picture it in my head like it was last week.

Mine was during a el Niño year which brought in tropical fish to Southern California . Wow right here at Redondo artificial reef a huge broomtail Grouper , a large sun fish and trigger fish . That was way cool
Off of Okinawa I was diving solo and found the top of a wall below. I was near 130 ft and knew I had just a minute or so left before acsending. I edged over and peeked over the edge and down just as a giant grouper rose up over the wall looking at me. Wow, he was huge. Probably 8 feet long, huge head. Don't know who was surprised the most. Him or me.

Hm, during one of my OW dives, my instructor took me to a near crystal clear section of the quarry. It was so cool. You could see everything. All the fish, plants, etc. There were even a couple wrecks and things. This was a section that not many students went to, so it wasn't silted out. Since I was taught how to kick to not silt the whole section out, he took me there. It was pretty awesome. In a couple months I'm going to another dive site in New Mexico that is a crystal clear, blue water site. They're the coolest, and incredibly surreal.

I was swimming along peacefully in relatively shallow water in Key Largo, Florida. I had a vague sense of a fish swimming behind me and to my right, so I glanced back and saw something I had never seen before--a free swimming scorpion fish! I turned to look, and it instantly dropped to a rock and froze, trying to blend in as usual.

I looked at it for a while, and I could see that it was looking at me. After a while I started swimming again but I was wary. A slight glance told me that he was swimming again, following me. I turned my head a little too much and bam! he was back down on a rock.

I figured this was the rare scorpion fish with some place to go, and I was interfering. So off I went.

My most memorable dive will always be The Hardeep AKA SS Suddhadib off Samaesarn in Thailand. Just south of the Sattahip Naval Base.

It was 2002 and I was leading a group of tech divers as a fresh DM on the dive. I remember I had never seen backplates and wings and thought these guys were nuts at the time.

We dropped in and penetrated the ship. There we found light rays cascading into the wreck through the mangled bomb damage. A beautiful sight to behold. All of a sudden the lights went out. I could not figure out what was going on until I realized a whale shark was above the wreck blocking out the light.

We continued our dive out of the wreck and over to the 500lb unexploded bomb sitting in the sand off of the wreck, then proceeded up the shot line. The whale shark immediately came to us on our safety stop and was as interested in us as we were it.

After some time I broke the surface and started yelling "whale shark" at the boat. The closest person who heard me was a girl. A stranger to me at the time, who replied "Bull***t"! She then saw the massive fin breach the water and grabbed their snorkel gear to join the fun.

I wound up marrying that girl and we have been with each other since that day long ago.
Great story. I think I will have to go and dive at that wreck. Maybe I will find myself a wife there also:))))

Many years ago we were diving in Borneo at twilight. When we got to see the mandarin fish come out of the coral in pairs and do some sort of mating ritual. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen, and even now almost 15 years later I can still picture it in my head like it was last week.

Something like these, below?

Back
Top Bottom