what types of insurance is out there for U/W camera systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigfrog23

Reaction score
i have a new camera system which includes a canon 30d a several nice lenses and aquatica A30D housing and a flat port and dome port. i need to get insurance for the set up but don't know what's out there as far as insurance goes any suggestions on what to do? what different companies have some sort of flood insurance/theft.

First check to see what your homeowners will cover. Mine doesn't so I have H2OInsurance through DAN. It's Fireman's Fund insurance from Senn, Dunn, Marsh. You also have to be a basic level DAN member to be eligible.

They give you the value of the equipment in cash rather than replacing it should something happen. My $2500 worth of divegear and $3500 worth of video gear costs me something like $186/year. However there are exclusions in their program, I think one of them is that if your gear falls off the boat, you're liable. So read the fine print.

thanks for the info. about how much does you Depp insurance run you??

You'd need to contact DEPP with your needs and they can give you a quote. They used to have that information on the site so you could at least get a ballpark figure.

I'm just in the process of getting mine organized for another year - it's on my To Do List today - and I can't remember what it cost me last year.

First check to see what your homeowners will cover.

I recently found out that State Farm writes a seperate policy, not related to your home insurance and they will write personal article policies for non-homeowners.

I could be wrong, but that is what my agent said. It covered more types of losses and did not require any receipts, I just gave them the serial numbers of each item, and they say they cover the replacement value. I have not actually had this type of claim with them, although they just gave me 12,000 dollars for equipment I lost in an electrical event and they never even sent anyone to my home to see/confirm the damaged compressors, pool pump, etc. So I sort of got the impression a smaller claim might go smoothly as well.

catherine96821:
I recently found out that State Farm writes a seperate policy, not related to your home insurance and they will write personal article policies for non-homeowners.

I could be wrong, but that is what my agent said. It covered more types of losses and did not require any receipts, I just gave them the serial numbers of each item, and they say they cover the replacement value. I have not actually had this type of claim with them, although they just gave me 12,000 dollars for equipment I lost in an electrical event and they never even sent anyone to my home to see/confirm the damaged compressors, pool pump, etc. So I sort of got the impression a smaller claim might go smoothly as well.
This is true. A friend of mine uses this SF policy and I got one too. I'm a homeowner but my home policies are not State Farm. My buddy has had them pay out with no problems too. I had insured over 5K worth of camera equipment for about $50 bucks per year. It covered the equipment being dropped overboard, and other scenarious that other policies refuse to honor. All I had to do was give them the serial numbers and estimated cost of each item. Cost vs coverage...I am convinced that it is the best policy you can get. They ended up cancelling me because of some technicality having to do with living too close to the beach and being in a major flood zone. The policy was not valid if you use your equipment professionally. As long as your photography is a hobby and you don't live in a major flood zone or really close to the ocean you should be good to go :)

I have used H2O (DAN) and now use DEPP. The reason I changed is that H2O does not insure against a crew member dropping your rig and losing it. DEPP does. Although DEPP is more expensive, it is worth it to have that extra coverage. Too many times I've seen near misses on liveaboards.

the verdict is in going to use DEPP. the reason i when with DEPP over h20 insurance is that it covers accidental loss i.e. i drop my camera in the the surf or off a boat they will still replace it. this was the key factor for me. DEPP it more expensive than H20 insurance but has border coverage my DEPP plan is running me about 340.00 a year not bad considering i am insuring about 10,000 in camera equipment :D . When doing my research i looked into State farm. It has a type of coverage that would cover my gear and it was defiantly the cheapest by far as long as you don't file a claim:no: . if you filed a claim with them your rate would go up considerably and if you mentioned that your camera to a dip in the water intentionally they would cancel your broader coverage all together then your out a camera system and out the money that you payed. this umbrella issuance is not realy diving insurance it is just supplemental insurance to help fill in the gaps in your home owners insurance.

It has a type of coverage that would cover my gear and it was defiantly the cheapest by far as long as you don't file a claim: . if you filed a claim with them your rate would go up considerably and if you mentioned that your camera to a dip in the water intentionally they would cancel your broader coverage all together then your out a camera system and out the money that you payed. this umbrella issuance is not realy diving insurance it is just supplemental insurance to help fill in the gaps in your home owners insurance

I'm not really understanding this... who was the person that gave you this information? an agent? because I talked to a total of about ten different SF people regarding my recent payout and they all sad something different---I don't think they understand their own policy language and an electrical engineer reviewed the language and rolled his eyes and said it was "gibberish" not meant to be understood by anyone except their beaurecrats.

On the other hand the smaller companies, could be gone overnight.

I asked if it effects my homeowners and they said absolutely not, because it is a different policy altogether. ...by broader coverage, do you mean the camera in general? because they definetly know mine is being used underwater.

Plus, I documented all my questions and the agents answers via e-mail. But I am open to the downsides of ANY insurance program---cause that is one slippery industry. thanks for the heads up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom