What type of tank should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyronGanes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What's a tank that will maximize my bottom time using nitrox blends? Assume my rate of air consumption is slightly above average. I also sink with no weights so I'm not sure if I'd want to go with a steel tank?

Thanks

The biggest tank(s) you can carry will maximize your bottom time. However, there are a few drawbacks to that strategy. Like Deco planning and the fact that dual 130s are very damn heavy.

Along with considering size and weight, you need one that you can get trimmed out properly. There's quite a bit a difference in length of the available tanks. I'm 5'8" and a fan of LP85s.

What's a tank that will maximize my bottom time using nitrox blends? Assume my rate of air consumption is slightly above average. I also sink with no weights so I'm not sure if I'd want to go with a steel tank?

Thanks
Doubled OMS Faber LP 121s will maximize your bottom time by getting you 330cf with a cave fill. They trim out nicely too. Of course, a rebreather will get you even more bottom time...

...or you could just use planning and gas management...

Sent via

Thanks

So you are planning on diving in Canada without exposure protection, my hat is off to you sir.

Bob

If you're diving in Canada, there are other factors that are likely to limit your bottom time besides gas consumption. (Being too cold, having to pee, etc.)

Steel 117, 119 or 120 tanks hold a lot of gas for their weight. And a set of double HP 100s will get you into plenty of trouble without breaking your back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steel 120 was too heavy. Guess it depends on how long you may walk on a shore dive.

Thanks

Myron:

1. What's your current level of certification?
2. What's your level of experience/number of dives?
3. What type of tank have you been using?

I went through this entire scenario a few years ago.I bought a 15l tank thinking I'd get extra bottom time etc. I sold that tank about a year ago because it just never got used. The 12l steels work perfectly for me

Back
Top Bottom