What type of tank is this...please help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hey all!

I am BRAND new to diving and recently purchased a tank from a guy my wife works with. it is yellow with a black plastic bottom piece at the bottom, the #s on it are

(top)-CTC/DOT-3al3000

(NEXT)-P41002 Luxfer 2(symbol)83

then 2(symbol)92
like i stated before i am new to diving and am trying to put together my gear. if anyone has any usfull info Please hit me up ASAP.
Thanks all!!!!
mikebush007

I believe CTC is Canadian, metal is aluminum with a working pressure of 3000psi, P41002 is the serial number,Lux is the manufactor, made Feb 1983 and was hydro'd in Feb 1992. That said, I don't think it can be used because of a metal flaw/failure of those tanks made prior to 1988. Tim

I believe CTC is Canadian, metal is aluminum with a working pressure of 3000psi, P41002 is the serial number,Lux is the manufactor, made Feb 1983 and was hydro'd in Feb 1992. That said, I don't think it can be used because of a metal flaw/failure of those tanks made prior to 1988. Tim

DH you were right on until the last. Legally, it can be used as long as in addition to it's hydro the tank is eddy current tested at the hydro facility (a hydro test is good for 5 years- this tank will need a renewed hydro). Many dive shops, esp those in Fla will not fill the tank due to a varity of reasons, some valid and some plain old BS but a blanket statement that it can't be used is incorrect.
So mike, you do have a 1988 80 cubic foot tank made of aluminum and manuf by Luxfer. It is out of hydro (hydro =hydrostatic test) and needs a visual inspection. Take it to your LDS (local dive shop) and discuss it with them. They may or may not be willing to fill it but if they will, they can advise you of how to get the tank inspected in your area. If you want more info, this topic has been discussed a bunch on the board, do a search for hours of reading. DOT= US Dept of transportation, CTC is the Canadian equivalent, the exact name escapes me.

DH you were right on until the last. Legally, it can be used as long as in addition to it's hydro the tank is eddy current tested at the hydro facility (a hydro test is good for 5 years- this tank will need a renewed hydro). Many dive shops, esp those in Fla will not fill the tank due to a varity of reasons, some valid and some plain old BS but a blanket statement that it can't be used is incorrect.
So mike, you do have a 1988 80 cubic foot tank made of aluminum and manuf by Luxfer. It is out of hydro (hydro =hydrostatic test) and needs a visual inspection. Take it to your LDS (local dive shop) and discuss it with them. They may or may not be willing to fill it but if they will, they can advise you of how to get the tank inspected in your area. If you want more info, this topic has been discussed a bunch on the board, do a search for hours of reading. DOT= US Dept of transportation, CTC is the Canadian equivalent, the exact name escapes me.

I don't know where the first "C" in CTC came from but the TC is "Transport Canada".

I don't know where the first "C" in CTC came from but the TC is "Transport Canada".

Seeing as the tank is from 1983, it could be an old version, like Canadian Transportation Commission or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom