What to wear under semi-dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaverickNH

Contributor
Reaction score
So I'm looking to add a layer with my hooded 7mm semi-dry, which has a inner neck cape, wrist and calf seals. I'm worried that any fabric skin that falls below the wrist/calf seals will allow water entry, so am thinking heavy shorts and short-sleeved shirts (like Henderson 13oz shorts & Lavacore ss-shirt).

Would I be better off with 3mm shorty under or over?

I have heard good things about LavaCore. Do you fold the wrist/neck and calf seals in??? This is the quickest way to add some heat. If you are still cold I would suggest a drysuit with good thermals. Different conditions demand different equipment, i use 3mm, 5mm, semidry or drysuit depending on the dive or conditions.

Uhhh, surfers say nothing! Maybe a rash guard...if surfing and getting chaffed around the arms. Rash guard is not for warmth. The less water near your skin the better for warmth.

If cold, get a drysuit.

Yeah, if I had a few $K I'd get a drysuit, but am looking for alternatives. Heck, I'd jet to the tropics if I had the money and skip the cold - I'll keep playing those lotto tickets :wink:

If the fabric is within the seal zones, it gets kind of wet, I guess, in a semi-dry suit.

Short of a drysuit, better to have extra neoprene or the fabrics? The neoprene or fabric on a shorty should stay within the seals.

definitely put it over....I have the Henderson Thermoprene 8/7 semi...the seals are pretty good...you don't want to allow for larger water pools inside the suit and chances of greater flow...just put more neoprene on the outside and itll keep you warmer without compromising the design of the suit...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom