What to wear under drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwalko

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got new drysuit. Can't quite afford the typical undergarments yet, so I was wondering what I should wear under my drysuit (tri-lam, not neoprene).

I have been a skier for years, so I am thinking in terms of layering. Any suggestions?

I was thinking fleece/thermal long johns, sweat pants, fleece overshirt (the pull over kind you wear when it is too warm for a ski jacket, but not warm emough for just a sweater).

I heard to avoid cotton. Is this true? What about wool?

Note that this is only until I can afford the undergarments, so I don't want to go spend a ton of money.

This weekend, I found sweat pants designed to be worn under stocking foot waders, which seems sort of similar (tri-lam material in cold water w/ latex socks). They were made out of a fleece type material, but no nylon shell on the outside layer. $39.00 for the pair, compared to several hundred for a good undersuit. Think these are a good idea??

Thanks;

John

Thinking of layering is the right thought. True undergarments do it with a single garment.

You need a wicking layer, so polypro is great (I find Nike SphereDry wicks a bit better than underarmour, but use what you've got. For a thermal layer polarfleece is fine. Wool can work well too, especially for socks.

Try to remember something. When skiing or doing other outdoor activities. You are in an open system. Moisture that is wicked can be vented and evaporated into the atmosphere. This is impossible in a drysuit, so that moisture will be deposited right back. Materials like Polarfleece don't tranfer moisture well. In fact, they do it in two directions. So you really don't have anything to keep the wetness from getting right back onto you. This is where true undergarments excel.

If you really get warm enough to sweat (topside or below), you're going to be damp all dive.

If you are skier you probably have a variety of suitable longjohns and undies. I have used my old EMS Bergelene (polyester) undies as an extra layers many a time without issues. Polypro is probably better but I have never had issues with moisture with this layer next to my skin.
I have used Hot Chili and UnderArmor too. If you layer these with some thicker fleece you own, you should get some good protection to start with for fraction of a cost - or if you already own them, even better...
Only thing is to watch you can vent - ie if stuff around your exhaust valve is very fluffy and cloggy, you might want to tape the garment etc.

Your sking stuff should do fine.
I just got some of the 4th element pieces and love them.

Just got new drysuit. Can't quite afford the typical undergarments yet, so I was wondering what I should wear under my drysuit (tri-lam, not neoprene).

I have been a skier for years, so I am thinking in terms of layering. Any suggestions?

I was thinking fleece/thermal long johns, sweat pants, fleece overshirt (the pull over kind you wear when it is too warm for a ski jacket, but not warm emough for just a sweater).

I heard to avoid cotton. Is this true? What about wool?

Note that this is only until I can afford the undergarments, so I don't want to go spend a ton of money.

This weekend, I found sweat pants designed to be worn under stocking foot waders, which seems sort of similar (tri-lam material in cold water w/ latex socks). They were made out of a fleece type material, but no nylon shell on the outside layer. $39.00 for the pair, compared to several hundred for a good undersuit. Think these are a good idea??

Thanks;

John

I'm also a skier and also just got a trilam drysuit. When I bought it, it came with a thin (maybe 100-200 weight) thinsulate jumpsuit, a fleece jumpsuit, and 7mm hood and gloves. I did a dive this past weekend with 43 deg at 55 fsw for about an hour. I wore thick wool socks and my hot chilly's pants and shirt that I wear skiing, then the thinsulate jumpsuit. I was completely dry underneath but definitely didn't layer enough because I was pretty cold upon surfacing. Next dive I'll plan to wear the same base layers for wicking, but will definitely need to wear both the fleece and thinsulate jumpsuits. Definitely avoid cotton as it will hold moisture. Wool wicks well. To really get the thermal protection dialed in I think it will just take some experimenting.

While engaging in winter sports, I have tried virtually every type of sock material.
And when I bought a pair of smartwool sport socks, thinking I would check the new fangled wool fabrics out, I was astonished at the warmth they provided in the coldest conditions, and they wick moisture as well. So that is now my #1 sock for first layer under my Whites Glacier socks. And in the summer I will wear them alone.

All the best,
Geoff

Only thing is to watch you can vent - ie if stuff around your exhaust valve is very fluffy and cloggy, you might want to tape the garment etc.

This is a great suggestion. I would not have thought about this.

Thanks;

John

Because I have skied and because I ride horses all winter, I have an amazing wardrobe of insulating garments, including some truly impressive fleece. When I first got my dry suit, I tried layering the stuff I had under the suit. I ended up with major weight penalties and not very effective insulation. It'll do for a short time, if the water's not too cold, but I was quickly forced into getting real undergarments, and they worked much better.

wicking layer is key against the skin, Underarmour cold gear, polypro, probably anything in coolmax should be good, I have used polypro and underarmour with success. Then I use the Pinnacle Merino Evoultion Undergarment, man is that thing warm. I also have a 200gram polarfleece jumpsuit for warm water, but anything polarfleece is fine. Wool is awesome (merino for example) as it will continue to stay warm even if it gets damp, as some dampness is always likely, weather it be sweat or slight leakage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom