What to wear under a Trilaminate drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wingman_

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a drysuit but never tried one. A friend of mine told me that i should go neoprene because their warmer but i really prefer the idea of a trilaminate wet suit. I dive 4°C (38°F) waters and i was wondering if it would be ok to wear either my 3mm or my 7mm wetsuit under the trilaminate. Their both very comfortable although the later makes me a bit large.

What do you dry suit divers think?

WM

I'm a trilam fan - they dry faster, have less buoyancy issues, patch easily and (because the underwear can be varied) are suitable for diving in almost any temperature water.

In warm conditions I wear some polypro longjohns as underwear. In colder conditions I add thinsulate. Here in Chicago, where the water is cold year 'round, (it's about 50F in the deeper water right now - as warm as it will get) divers have been switching to Weezle for underwear. It looks like a fluffy bunny suit but the reports are consistent: it performs well, even when wet.

You might consider taking a dry suit class as a general introduction; you should definitely forget the idea of using your wetsuit as underwear.

Second what reefraff said: drop the idea of using wetsuits as undergarments.

Trilaminate Drysuits offer many advantages, which include avoiding problems wetsuits inherently offer of the wetsuit neoprene compressing at depth - thus offering X amount of bouyancy at the surface and Y amount of bouyancy at depth.

Another advantage is that in extremely cold water they offer thermal protection with increased mobility and flexibility - reach or range of motion - over 7 mm (or thicker) wetsuits. Yet another is that if you dive in different environments the undergarments may be varied to avoid overheating in warmer water yet stay warm also in colder water.

Optimal drysuit undergarments for 38 degree (F) water would likely either be a two-way stretch thinsulate undergarment, or a Weezle. These two designs offer two different methods of thermal protection: thinsulate reflects body heat back toward the diver. Weezles use loft to create a dead air space that insulates. There are pros and cons to each option, and you will find debates all over SB regarding which is "best". In the end, it's up to you.

Here are examples and places to start looking around:

Stretch Thinsulate -
http://www.divingconcepts.com/tpspage1.htm

Weezle -
http://www.weezle.co.uk/

Best,

Doc

I agree with the previous answers. The first drysuit I owned was neoprene and now I use a trilam. There are advantages to both but I prefer the flexibility of the trilam. By varying the undergarments it can be used year round.

Dave

I dive with Weezle undies and am happy.

Also, don't bother wearing your wetsuit under your drysuit....wetsuits need to trap water in order to function correctly.

I hear you all with the wetsuit and thinsulate and weezle, however i find it hard to agree with the statement above because i tend to get extremly hot in my wetsuit even at the surface when it's dry.

I'm just curious, why is it not a good idea to wear a wet suit under the dry suit?

I'm still a new diver, but my observations would be:

1. No wetsuit on this planet is as easy to get into as a pair of undies.
2. Even though trilam is flexible, it still offers resistance. Couple that with wetsuit resistance and you have a flexibility double whammie.

I currently use an Atlan neopreme drysuit. It keeps me warm in waters that are 47-55 degrees. It is less expensive than the trilams, but it is more buoyant and less flexible for temperatures. Sometimes I use fleece longjohns under it.

Wing....a wetsuit is not a viable option because it is not designed to wick the sweat away from your body. A good undergarment will wick the sweat away from your body and keep your skin dry...the sweat works its way to the outer portion of the undergarment and also your drysuit. When taking off my drysuit the garment and drysuit are wet, but I am dry.

When you are at the surface in your wetsuit and its hot you are sweating...this sweat is not wicked away from your body and it helps cool you down...even though it probably doesnt feel like it. This is exactly what you dont want when drysuit diving and that is just one good reason not to wear a wetsuit.

J

Excellent answers above so I will confuse you more by adding that a crushed neoprene dry suit in a nice compromise of the two. Something I will consider when I buy my next suit.

Back
Top Bottom