What to use under dry suit in springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are going to be diving the Fl springs with our new dry suits to practice buoyancy and the like. Up here in the NE I have used a bare ct200 plus polypro undies. Obviously too warm in the springs. Do you think we will be warm enough in polypro undies and sweats for a 50-60 minute dive in a dry suit in the springs like blue grotto, for example? Any thoughts are helpful. Thanks in advance.

I used fleece pants and a long sleeve t-shirt at Ginnie without issue. I intended to dive wet, but was too cold in a 3 mil on the first dive so I switched to my drysuit--the only undergarments I had were street clothes. The water is warm enough that you can get by with a thin layer. I think you'd actually be a little warm in polypro and sweats.

Frank

scubadobadoo:
We are going to be diving the Fl springs with our new dry suits to practice buoyancy and the like. Up here in the NE I have used a bare ct200 plus polypro undies. Obviously too warm in the springs. Do you think we will be warm enough in polypro undies and sweats for a 50-60 minute dive in a dry suit in the springs like blue grotto, for example? Any thoughts are helpful. Thanks in advance.

scubadobadoo:
Depends on how much air you keep in the suit. I use only enough to prevent squeeze and I'm comfortable in polypro with 200 gram thinsulate for repetitive cave dives. On the one occasion I felt the heat, I simply opened my hood a bit and cooled off.

On the surface is another matter.

If it will help, I consulted my dive log for my dives in Ginnie and Blue Grotto. Over 20+ dives at those sites, the water temp ranged from 70 to 73 degrees. I usually wear a 5-6 mm farmer john and jacket wet suit, along with a hood.

Have fun,
Grier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom